Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't upgrade ATI Radeon x1600 drivers

Beans

Re: Can't upgrade ATI Radeon x1600 drivers

Quote Originally Posted by angryfirelord View Post
    The problem doesn't lie on Ubuntu, it's a fault of ATI for getting rid of support for their cards. In order for Ubuntu to use the newest X Server, it had to include Catalyst 9.4, which drops support for a bunch of cards.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...9&lang=English

I know your pain because I have an X1600 in my laptop and I can't simply upgrade. Fortunately, the open-source driver, radeonhd, is moving at a quick development base and already has some very basic 3D support. I'd expect that in a year or two it should be usable enough to play 3D games with it. In the meantime, you can keep a copy of 8.04 or 8.10 loaded on your computer or just boot into Windows when you need to play a game.
    It's not ATI fault - because they shouldn't modify their drivers because of new xserver. New xserver should support old drivers anyway....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yoszik View Post
    It's not ATI fault - because they shouldn't modify their drivers because of new xserver. New xserver should support old drivers anyway....
    True, the Xorg team has been absolutely no help in setting guidelines for long-term standards development. But don't forget, ATI also dropped these cards for the Windows version too. Quite frankly, I don't see any reason why they would have had to do that for a relatively modern video card, especially for laptop users.

Beans

I'm on the exact same laptop, and have kind of given up on using Ubuntu as the primary OS. I'll boot 9.04 or CrunchBang in a VirtualBox VM if I want to use some of the excellent programs not available for OSX (Gnumeric ), and I'm counting the days till I can build a desktop and have a good time with a powerful Ubuntu machine.

The open source drivers work, I get decent graphics performance (including compiz effects, haven't tried gaming), haven't tried dual-head with this version either, but I do get that band of fuzz at the top before gdm starts.

Its usable but I feel neutered, so I end up going back to OS X. That and firefox + default gnome vertical space utilization is a nightmare on a 15 inch screen....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123