Thread: question about upgrading

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

question about upgrading

So, I decided to upgrade to 9.04. However, I wanted to use my other computer (which has Windows XP) while this one was upgrading, and I turned that computer on and it has serious problems. So now I'm concerned that if I have problems with upgrading this computer (which is currently working fine) I won't be able to use the other computer to get on the internet and get help. I'd rather wait until I get the issues with the other computer resolved. But since I'd already started the upgrade process, I didn't want to interrupt it. However, then my internet connection went out briefly (while the upgrade thing was doing a ton of downloads). When my internet came back up, the downloads didn't restart, and just stayed where they were. I had to cancel it, and it said it restored my system to the previous state.

So, my question is: is my computer still running 8.10 (rather than being mid-upgrade to 9.04) and will it be fine to leave it like this for a few days and avoid upgrading while I deal with the issues with the other computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: question about upgrading

At which stage of the upgrade did your Internet go down? If it was still downloading then it didnt make any changes to your computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I was about halfway through a download that it said would take 3 hours when the internet went down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

As long as it had not reached the installation phase you should be OK

It might even recognise the updates already downloaded when you retry.

Clive
    There's Gnome place like ~/

Sony Vaio All in One Ubuntu 13.04
    Acer Aspire 5315 Ubuntu 13.04 Toshiba NB200 Ubuntu Gnome 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It should recognize them and try to fix it, but I'd suggest using aptitude, as it handles fixing things like these a little easier.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude full-upgrade

Beans

I experienced three unplanned power outages during the download stage (I'm glad I have a battery back-up for nice shutdowns). Every time the download continued without any problems.