Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeze in Jaunty

Beans

Re: Freeze in Jaunty

I reinstalled 9.04 - still with the freezes, but now I've installed the 2.6.29 kernel following the easy instructions here
    http://www.ramoonus.nl/2009/03/24/li...-debian-linux/
    and all is almost well, the system seems to behaving better, but still there are freezes when i try to do too much...
    Last edited by sub_acoustic; July 9th, 2009 at 09:28 AM.

Beans

Not so much to add... I have tested with Nvidia card or Intel and Ext3. Resume function is still erratic. Freeze is frequent (less frequent if you don't hibernate). I have stopped to use hibernate (do not change from years ago). I also search another distro, stable but that includes last version of common softwares like OpenOffice.

Beans

Found this interesting post that at least applies to my problem:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123583

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Although downgrading kills kittens, I just had to give up and revert to 8.10 to get things done. I'll leave you with some of my observations and a weakly supported theory.

Observations:
    * ext3 or ext4 doesn't matter, I've tried both.
    * X and video driver doesn't matter, the freezing occurs in safemode as well (no X running).
    * It isn't completely frozen; a watchdog kicks in every 60 seconds and writes about something going on with cpu0 (can't remember exactly what it says, sorry).

Theory:
    The freezing is related to CPU scaling. Why? Because when having the CPU set to either 'powersave' or 'performance' (using the cpufreq-applet), I can't reproduce the freezes.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi folks, I've browsed this thread from start to finish, and while I've found a some useful tips that have helped minimise the lockups on my system they still occur.

I've added a comment to the bug in launchpad, that hopefully will assist.

Other than that I'll keep a weather eye on this thread, (subscribed).

For the record, I experience random lock ups. To date I have not been able to pin it down to a single trigger though.

At times the system will simply lock up after launching Kpackagekit. I play with it once in a while, but use synaptic / command line for package management most of the time.

I'll often have a couple of apps open at once, ie I'll be listen to music (Amarok), surfing (Firefox) and chatting (Kopete) and maybe even pulling down a torrent.

I can be doing this all day, without a hitch, yet at other times it'll lock up 3 - 4 times in the space of half an hour.

I've had limited success with kernel / video card upgrades, xorg.conf modifications to date.

I'm running Kubuntu, on an Athlon XP system with an nvidia 7800gs, rock solid under 8:10 and any release of Ubuntu that I've run previously.

Currently set up as a dual boot with Ubuntu 8:10, though currently spend all of my time in Kubuntu 9:04.

I'll throw my 2 cents in and state that I do not believe that this problem has anything to do with ext4 as I'm currently running Fedora 11 on my test system (ext4) with no dramas whatsoever.

It's (test system) up every day and most nights and has been for about two weeks now.

Furthermore, despite the random lock ups with Jaunty, I've experienced no data loss whatsoever.

When you take into account that in the last week alone I've had to run fsck manually twice, that's pretty good.

I'm not sure what's more disappointing, having an install with problems that defy all efforts to resolve them or Canonicals lack of response and seeming lack of action.

All I can say is that for now I'll be checking out other distros as mentioned earlier on my testing system with a view to moving away from *buntu after many years of use.

I personally know of others who are doing the same.
    Last edited by merlyn; July 12th, 2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    "I'm just sittin' here watchin' the wheels go 'round and 'round"
    John Lennon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by merlyn View Post
    All I can say is that for now I'll be checking out other distros as mentioned earler on my testing system with a view to moving away from *buntu after many years of use.

I personally know of others who are doing the same.
    This, with great pain and sorrow, is exactly the route that I am heading. After years of promoting *buntu to scores of business and schools, churches and friends, I am on path to something that will run that does not have the word Microsoft in it.

What frustrates me is the lack of a coordinated effort of problem solving.

ABC's of problem solving:

A - Aware (identify, is it a kernel to cpu stepping/scaling issue?)

B - Brainstorming - Come up with as many solutions as possible

C - Choose a solution

D - Do it!

E - Evaluate ( if failure go back to C)

Is there any coordinated resolution? I have been a part of https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/355155 but it too seems to be a repo people reporting the issue.

I have 3 machines all running the EXACT same build of kernel 2.6.30.

AMD Phenom 955 overclocked - No issues
    AMD Phenom 940 overclocked freeze all day until overclock turned off, now no issues.
    AMD Phenom 955 with a MSI AMD 3 and DDR3 setup overclocked, 2 freezes in two weeks but identical to the other freezes I have seen

Random random and more random

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I gave up.

I re-installed 9.04 fresh. What do I get when the system rebooted agter install? Yup, you guessed it. It froze just before the login screen.

After a barrage of blue words (and my wonderful and understanding wife calmed me down), I decided to downgrade to 8.10 to see how it goes. 8.04 ran perfect on this PC... This sucks large. Once 9.04 would finally boot, it ran flawlessly! I didn't get the freezes after Gnome started. My printers, scanner and file-sharing worked great.

Oh well...
    IBM Thinkpad r51, Ubuntu 12.04
    Homebuilt Intel Core2Duo E4500, 4.0GB RAM, EVGA/nVidia GT440, Dual-boot W7/Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    Dell Optiplex 755, 4.0GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 14.04 64-bit (local file/print/music server)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You guys... I triple boot, Ubuntu 9.04 (amd64), CentOS 5.3 x86_64 & XP...

I have an AM2 L110, a MSI K9Neo v3 mobo, and a brand new Kingston DDR2 ram of 2 gigs... Also an Nvidia GeForce 7300...

I experiment random freezes in Ubuntu & CentOS, but it seems that Ubuntu freezes more...

I thought it was a ram issue, so I bought a new ram, and installed it on its own... No luck... Power supply is good... CPU fan is running (I see it, the case is open...)

I guess it must be a Nvidia issue, somehow... I am running both Ubuntu & CentOS using the proprietary drivers...

Maybe I should try the "nouveau" drivers, or stick to "nv"...

Just wanted to let you guys know...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Caraibas might be right. Might be an Nvidia thing. It happens to me with either the "nvidia" proprietary driver or the "nv" driver. A fresh install uses the "nv" driver and it froze.

I need a working and reliable PC. Looks like Jaunty is NOT the one for me. Hopefully, Intrepid will work better for me. Maybe things will get fixed in 9.10. Maybe I'll switch distros. Too bad. I've had a great experience with Ubuntu since Dapper. sigh
    IBM Thinkpad r51, Ubuntu 12.04
    Homebuilt Intel Core2Duo E4500, 4.0GB RAM, EVGA/nVidia GT440, Dual-boot W7/Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    Dell Optiplex 755, 4.0GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 14.04 64-bit (local file/print/music server)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

though im not a guru
    i debated switching from ubuntu 9.04 to fedora 11.0/11.1 till this got solved.
    sadly, it seems that this "bug" exists for them also.

it seems that there are problems with people who have any of the following
    ext3, ext4, amd, intel, nvidia (either gpu or northbus), ati

i have seen debates on both the ubuntu forums and the fedora forums about it being the filesystems problem, the graphics accelerator, the kernel, acpi, cpu speed scaling, disabling compiz...

i guess ill just keep my eyes pealed for now as my problems: hard lockup, failed resume from suspend/hibernate are minimal compared to the problems that some of you are having (e.g. i typically only have a lock-up when having massive data through-put (extracting a rar file, deleting a cd image), so i just refrain from that and make sure i save/close everything in case suspend/hibernate does not resume correctly - and fsck seems to stop any data loss since i started doing it on boot after a resume failure...

Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast