Thread: Did the upgrade take?

Beans

Question Did the upgrade take?

Like thousands of you, I got the message that I can upgrade to the new version. It went through all the motions, all the "remove lilo" and "keep this" and "remove this", etc, everything went fine with no errors, comp restarted... nothing seems to have changed, my "About Ubunu" still says 8.1, and I still get a message that I can upgrade to the new version... I'm not a total n00b but not far from it, so any help would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Did the upgrade take?

I had the same problem, ran the upgrade again, and this time it told me it would take two and a half days to download the packages needed. The download speed jumps around, often falling to 17 kb/s. Is this a problem at the server end? I cancelled the upgrade, downloaded the whole 9.04 image, burned it, but it will not auto-run. Is there a way to upgrade from the image (point the upgrade manager at the image?) I don't know about 9.04, but the upgrade manager seems kinda buggy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yea I see a lot of people are having many different kinds of issues trying to get this to install and I myself have been at it all day and with everything I got and can think of to get this to work but I am slowely kosing my patience and am about to pass on this version and keep what I have.This is getting ugly now.

Servers from Ubuntu often get real busy and go real slow when the new version comes out.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Teatro View Post
    I had the same problem, ran the upgrade again, and this time it told me it would take two and a half days to download the packages needed. The download speed jumps around, often falling to 17 kb/s. Is this a problem at the server end? I cancelled the upgrade, downloaded the whole 9.04 image, burned it, but it will not auto-run. Is there a way to upgrade from the image (point the upgrade manager at the image?) I don't know about 9.04, but the upgrade manager seems kinda buggy.
    You can upgrade by using the alternate cd not the desktop cd.
    You may experience speed reduction from the servers over the next few days as lots of people are trying to upgrade.
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans

thanks all! i'm glad others are experiencing these things. i'll try to run the upgrade again... and hopefully everything goes ok!