Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 9.04 Still over heats.

Beans

Re: 9.04 Still over heats.

I have a Compaq Presario C700 laptop.

It was working good with the older version of ubuntu - Hardy Heron. With the latest 9.04, it seems that the laptop works fine when the battery is discharging. But when I charge it it heats up a lot. Usually the laptop heats up on charging but today the difference was noticeable. Could not touch the base of the laptop for more than a few seconds. (The laptop's fan is free of dust and particles.)

The heat was probably 2-3 times more than usual. Again, only while charging... (I did an update using the update manager last night)

Thanks for any tips.

Beans

Add me on the list, my problem is that the fan makes my PC sound like a jet engine.
    Can somebody just tell us how to actually manipilate the fans and similar outside BIOS with config files? I can't set it on my laptop, and from my experience you cannot do that on most laptops <.<

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is not a software problem , it is a hardware issue. Disassemble the cooling system and clean out the hair and lent from the copper parts , reapply thermal paste , re seat the heat sink and fan assembly. If your unsure about how to do this use google or take it to a PC repair shop and pay them to do it , We normally charge an hour for everything besides Toshiba's (because most of them are a pain to disassemble) and unless there's a fan failure (which would be addressed while the lap top is disassembled) it's always successful , you cannot fix this with software nor is it softwares fault.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans

In my case, I can fix the problem of the fans never coming on by booting with acpi=off, but this causes other things to fail such as telling how much battery I have left and I can't remember if wireless also doesn't work. I'm dual booting with Windows XP and it has no problem controlling my fans when the CPU gets hot.

I'm guessing this might be more of a kernel issue than an Ubuntu issue?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sx66gns View Post
    This is not a software problem , it is a hardware issue. Disassemble the cooling system and clean out the hair and lent from the copper parts , reapply thermal paste , re seat the heat sink and fan assembly. If your unsure about how to do this use google or take it to a PC repair shop and pay them to do it , We normally charge an hour for everything besides Toshiba's (because most of them are a pain to disassemble) and unless there's a fan failure (which would be addressed while the lap top is disassembled) it's always successful , you cannot fix this with software nor is it softwares fault.
    I highly doubt that it is always successful and that only applies in some cases. I would also like to think that even if it was a hardware issue that you could have to software compensate by keeping the fan(s) on or something.

Beans

This is totally NOT a hardware issue. I have two oses on the same machine. In one, works fine. 9.04, not so fine. The same machine, 2 hours earlier with 8.10 worked fine as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I second that, it's NOT a hardware issue. I have an ASUS laptop, just returned from the manufacturer, cleaned. I have an XP and a Ubuntu 9.04. The Ubuntu worked like a charm newly installed, but since I have upgraded it with some basic programs (with the inbuilt upgrader, wine, and dx9 with winetricks, nothing else), firefox (which claims to be up to date) freezes only after 5-10 minutes of browsing, fans go like crazy. I can't do any diagnostics as the notebook's not responding to mouse, keyboard, nothing, just the emergency shutdown. In XP, I can work for hours, play demanding games, anything, so it's definitely not hw.

Beans

Had similar problem with a HP nc8430, ati graphics (X1600) with xserver radeon driver, i.e. open source. Put option "DynamicClocks" "on" in my xorg.conf, solved problem. With the propietary driver I'd always used aticonfig to throttle things, but of course that's not possible now.

Beans

Similar ASUS laptop heat issues here.
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00 ghz + Intel 965

Temperature when just browsing is around 62 celsius. Never had that before(compiz disabled).

With Ibex I had 48 with and 53 without cpu undervolting. Processor load is around 3%. I had compiz on too. Even google earth didn't heat it up to over 60 degrees. Something's quite wrong

Can someone at leat point out if its a kernel issue?

I'm using 2.6.30-020630rc2-generic amd_64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Sorry sx66gns, but having just lived through a bad bios update on my other computer, I have learned that blaming fan issues on hardware is often little more than an inflated ego blowing hot air. I've replaced fans after problems occuring after updating software before, and it was both an exercise in futility and many hours of wasted time.

This is clearly a software problem.

I'm not sure how I did it, but my D400 seems to be behaving. I was running the fans at high speed using gkrelland barely keeping temperatures under 62C. One or two restarts later, and I am now comfortably browsing at 39-41. I did download an update in the interim. Could that have been the answer?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast