Thread: 64 bit intel 9.04 download... (easy)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

64 bit intel 9.04 download... (easy)

So I was just looking up the specs to my laptop: http://www.rpi.edu/laptops/laptops08/specs08.html it says this: ntel Core 2 Duo T9300 processor at 2.5 GHz
    (6 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB, 64-bit CPU)

Does the 64-bit CPU mean that its a 64 bit machine? (cause for some programs that gives me options for both i have been getting 32 assuming i had a 32 bit machine).... So i guess the first question is is this machine actually a 64 bit machine?

And if that is true.... when i try and download the 64 bit ubuntu 9.04 desktop version this is what begins downloading: ubuntu-9.04-desktop-amd64.iso

Only thing that concerns me is that i see amd in there, not an i for intel... will that cause problems or is that the correct one to download?

Beans

Re: 64 bit intel 9.04 download... (easy)

That is the correct one, if you need 64-bit, download that one.

You need not the 64-bit version, however, unless you are doing intensive tasks like encoding video and such. Otherwise, you won't notice a difference. You will find many 32-bit applications won't work in 64-bit, so be aware.
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's just one of those weird naming conventions that hasn't been changed yet.

amd64 supports all x86 64bit processors, regardless of brand.

While it's true that 32bit applications will not work with 64bit (although you can install libs to run 32bit applications) I don't think that is really an issue these days. I haven't come across anything lately that there is not a 64bit version for.

This post might be worth a look:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765428
    Linux Mint 8 64 Bit | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.80GHz (OC) | 4GB Kingston RAM | Asus P5Q Delux Motherboard | Asus EN9800GT (NVIDIA) | WD 120GB / WD 720GB SATA2 HDDs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nandemonai View Post
    It's just one of those weird naming conventions that hasn't been changed yet..
    +1 (the reference to AMD here is not only misleading, but also very silly).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've noticed this too. lol scares me every time 2. Yeah the whole 64 bit lack of support was an issue like year or two ago. But lately there catching up and it'll only get better.
    http://sekuritysuks.wordpress.com

~$ sudo apt-get meabeer
    E: Invalid operation meabeer