Thread: vlc crashes in jaunty with segmentation fault when changing songs on playlists.

vlc crashes in jaunty with segmentation fault when changing songs on playlists.

i just upgraded to jaunty from intrepid and i am having a problem with vlc 0.9.9a crashing with segmentation fault when i am listening to a multi song playlist (like from a .xspf file) when i change to another song. the terminal output is here:

lou@lou-laptop:~$ vlc
    VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
    Segmentation fault
    lou@lou-laptop:~$

this problem also surfaces when i play dvds with vlc. the menu plays, but when the movie starts playing after i hit play, vlc crashes.
    Last edited by thebestofall007; April 24th, 2009 at 12:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: vlc crashes in jaunty with segmentation fault when changing songs on playlists.

Hmmmm....somebody has a PPA with vlc 1.0 pre-release. You could try that.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1111272
    I would rather die of thirst than drink from the cup of mediocrity.

Get better forum search results!

Re: vlc crashes in jaunty with segmentation fault when changing songs on playlists.

doesnt work for me. it made vlc not even start. had to revert back to o.9.9a.
    Last edited by thebestofall007; April 24th, 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This is a slightly old thread, but I thought I should point out that this issue can probably be resolved by deleting your config files for vlc. They are located in ~/.config/vlc. Just delete that vlc folder. I guess the new version is not compatible with the old config files. This worked for me, at least.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@jyaan Thanks! Deleting that config folder worked for me.

How frustrating though. Glad I know to look at the log file viewer which made it easy to search on this. But I wrestled with it for some time before I got there. Must have crashed vlc a dozen times while trying to watch an hour long MP4 video. I also had an increase in the CPU usage which was maxing me out and causing the video to skip frames. I rebooted several times and it wouldn't go away.

Just got a new vlc version, last week I believe, with my updates. Might have been a proposed update as I have those turned on. So as you said, the new didn't like the old. I'm pretty happy it's fixed!

Thanks again!

Edited typo.
    Last edited by WSmart; July 25th, 2010 at 05:41 AM.
    Be real, be sober.