Quote Originally Posted by l-x-l View Post
    I got a work around from this site & it works for me:

Workaround

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/alsa-utils

Search for "stop)" and add immediately below: 
    ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig wlan0 down
    Hey guys. I have been experiencing the kernel panic when I used the killwlan script, but when I did the ifconfig wlan0 down commands like the quote above everything seems to work just fine. I think the modprobe -r is more of a forced down that can cause problems. I know some people might not like adding it to the alsa config, but a combined method might work, by replacing the modeprob -r with:

ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig wlan0 down

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: cannot shutdown / reboot laptop on 9.04

I had the same problem with my laptop, I could not shut-down/restart. Trying to optimize the battery life I installed the APMD package and then all works. Now, I can shut-down/restart without problems.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hesapotman View Post
    This worked for me. If it works for you, great! If not, sorry for having wasted your time. Good luck!
    Thank you SO much!
    I've been having this issue on my laptop since I first upgraded to Jaunty, and none of the bugs related to it see any activity or future plans of releasing a fix.

Now I can shutdown/reboot properly without having to remember to switch the wireless kill button or face having to forcefully shut down the system.

Beans

Question Re: cannot shutdown / reboot laptop on 9.04

what kind of shutdown problem you have? well, my problem is my machine goes blank and there is a blinking thing on the top of my monitor on the left. and it will stay there and your machine wouldn't shutdown until you press the power button.

however, past few days, i realize by pressing spacebar or other button when the screen goes blank can turn off my machine. why does my lappy cant shutdown without pressing any other key? and how come other button can be a power button. but i don't mind with that little problem. im still on ubuntu 9.04
    Last edited by liquerLOVER; May 26th, 2009 at 09:10 AM.

Beans

Thanks to rblasco. After installing apmd package. It works for me.

Thanks a lot!

Beans

I spoke too soon. It only worked if I did restart, but not shutting down.
    Appreciate your help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marcio_mi View Post
    * Asking all remaining processes to terminate... [OK]
    * Killing all remaining processes... [fail]
    * Deconfiguring network interfaces... [OK]
    * Unmounting temporary filesystems... [OK]
    * Deactivating swap... [OK]
    * Unmounting local filesystem.... [OK]
    mount: / is busy
    * Will now halt
    Quote Originally Posted by liquerLOVER View Post
    what kind of shutdown problem you have? well, my problem is my machine goes blank and there is a blinking thing on the top of my monitor on the left. and it will stay there and your machine wouldn't shutdown until you press the power button.

however, past few days, i realize by pressing spacebar or other button when the screen goes blank can turn off my machine. why does my lappy cant shutdown without pressing any other key? and how come other button can be a power button. but i don't mind with that little problem. im still on ubuntu 9.04
    I'm nOOb in the linux stuff I've just start using ubuntu 8.10 about three weeks ago and change it into 9.04 a week ago...

and I've had the same problem with marcio_mi and liquerLOVER... don't know how to fix it..

and other problem that i had was my laptop screen gets dim on boot probably the brightness level was about 20%... i had to manually set it again to 100 % after login...

oh yeah one other problem is.. I can not set the resolution or other display utilities on display setting after i installed Nvidia driver... it had to set on nvidia x config ...

I notice that most of them who gets these problems are the people who had AMD based laptop bot using AMD64 and x86...

I don't have these kind of problem using intrepid
    Last edited by kemanamana; June 2nd, 2009 at 11:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by EarthMind View Post
    Does it mention something about "acpi=force" at boot time? If so then you'll probably have to add this part to your boot file.
    Hey.. I wanna try this one. But what I should do? I have no idea how to insert it. Many thanks. I have the same problem to in my PC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by thom_ View Post
    Hey.. I wanna try this one. But what I should do? I have no idea how to insert it. Many thanks. I have the same problem to in my PC
    You need to insert it into the boot line.

open a terminal and type

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

(that's an L not a number one)

That gives you access to the grub bootloader (Be VERY careful)

scroll down all the commented instructions and you'll get to the menu list. Edit the top (default) one by inserting your code anywhere on the first line:

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-24-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-24-generic root=UUID=3be998e1-d3ed-4dfb-869d-8b2010c5babf ro quiet acpi=force splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic
    quiet

title Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-24-generic (recovery mode)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-24-generic root=UUID=3be998e1-d3ed-4dfb-869d-8b2010c5babf ro single
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic

title Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-23-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-23-generic root=UUID=3be998e1-d3ed-4dfb-869d-8b2010c5babf ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-23-generic
    quiet

save, close and reboot. If you've got an HP/compaq laptop (like mine) I had more success with "hpet=disable". If you have problems during reboot, select the (unedited) recovery option, boot as normal and remove the command.

Beans

I'm using Acer Aspire 4520 ( AMD Turion, Nvidia 7000m, Broadcom Wireless ) and Ubuntu 9.04 with nvidia 180.x and broadcom wireless driver.

Ocassionally, the shutdown process doesn't not shut off the laptop. The progress bar does move and finished. But in the end, the computer still running and show blank.

My temporary workaround was to press enter during that "blank" session. The computer will then shut off.

I did experience this in Ubuntu 8.10 and Ubuntu 9.04. I don't really remember how it was with the older release of Ubuntu since I wasn't really using it.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast