Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: cannot shutdown / reboot laptop on 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: cannot shutdown / reboot laptop on 9.04

Quote Originally Posted by l-x-l View Post
    I don't see a file "killwlan" in the /etc/init.d/ directory. I'm on Jaunty.
    You're supposed to create that file. It isn't there by default.

I have a similar problem on my XPS M1530. Most of the time it will not shutdown. In addition to not shutting down, I get a garbled graphics screen. I don't have my M1530 with me at the moment, I'll try the killwlan solution later.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

I got a work around from this site & it works for me:

Workaround

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/alsa-utils

Search for "stop)" and add immediately below: 
    ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig wlan0 down

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok l-x-l, but it is a bit ugly to put this in the file /etc/init.d/alsa-utils, because that file has to do with the ALSA sound system, while the problem does not have anything to do with sound, but with the wireless LAN drivers instead.

What hesapotman posted is cleaner and works also. Thanks, hesapotman.

I had to do:
    Code:
    modprobe -r iwlagn
    for my XPS M1530, since iwlagn is the wireless driver that Jaunty uses on my laptop.
    Last edited by jespdj; April 29th, 2009 at 01:34 PM.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I was also wondering - does anyone of you have any problem with hibernation? When I want my laptop to hibernate, somtimes it does, but sometimes it hangs at the point it should turn off I guess. Heard somewhere that it could be related with nVidia GPU, but i don't know anything exactly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post
    Ok l-x-l, but it is a bit ugly to put this in the file /etc/init.d/alsa-utils, because that file has to do with the ALSA sound system, while the problem does not have anything to do with sound, but with the wireless LAN drivers instead.

What hesapotman posted is cleaner and works also. Thanks, hesapotman.

I had to do:
    Code:
    modprobe -r iwlagn
    for my XPS M1530, since iwlagn is the wireless driver that Jaunty uses on my laptop.

o.k. I'd like to try it but like I said, I'm a noob to Linux. So I'm extremely cautious about creating scripts affecting my system, no matter how easy. I took a look at some of the other scripts in the /etc/init.d/ folder & they don't look particularly simple for a noob to understand.

Is it possible for you to show me your script (step 4 in hesapotman's post) since we have the same module? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Beans

I also have an Dell XPS M1530 laptop and i also have this problem.
    jespdj, could you please post step by step what you've done? I'm a little bit of a noob and I would like to solve this annoying problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi,
    I also have the same problem with my sony vaio. I tried the suggestion by hesapotman but it didn't seem to work. When I turn off the computer the cursor stops in the left top corner. I tried to do <CTRL><ALT><F7> and here's what I get:

broadcast message from root@ubuntu

/etc/init.d/rc: 390: /etc/rc0.d/S16killwlan: Permission denied

* Asking all remaining processes to terminate... [OK]
    * Killing all remaining processes... [fail]
    * Deconfiguring network interfaces... [OK]
    * Unmounting temporary filesystems... [OK]
    * Deactivating swap... [OK]
    * Unmounting local filesystem.... [OK]
    mount: / is busy
    * Will now halt

and then the computer stops there. It does not seem to be a problem with the wlan though. I had installed ubuntu 8.10 using the wubi installer, and I had no problems before upgrading to 9.04.

Can anybody help me here? thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    i have the same problem after the upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 on an Acer Extensa 5620 notebook, with an Intel iwl3945 wifi controller.

It solves if I tur off the wifi controller via hardware switch before rebooting or turning off the notebook, so I tried the way of "modprobe -r iwl3945" in a "killwlan" script, but it generates a bigger problem.

launching "modprobe -r iwl3945", via script or even manually in a root terminal, the system hangs, the mouse arrow disappear ed tthe "bloc num" led start blinking continously, and the then you have nothing to do but shut down the notebook by the power button.

So, I need to find out the exact command sequnce corresponding to turning off the wifi via it's hardware switch.

Hope it helps ^^

Beans

I tried the solution just like jespdj with iwlagn, and it works on my Dell XPS M1530! It does shut down now. The black screen with the little white stripe on the left corner still is there for a few seconds, but then I see a little message very quick (can't read what it says) and then the laptop turns of.

Thanks hesapotman and jespdj for the solution! Now Ubuntu 9.04 is perfect

Beans

Update: I googled a few how-to's on basic scripting & tried hesapotman's method & it works. I'm now using that solution & instead of the one I provided earlier. Thanks to all for the help.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast