Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 and ATI cards fglrx problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 and ATI cards fglrx problem

Hey! Today I was upgrading my Ubuntu 8.10 to Ubuntu 9.04 and get a attention about my ATI fglrx driver problem...I have ATI Radeon x700pro card. I can't believe.. Is this means that my card is no longer supported by this driver ?? What should I do to fix it? Is there any way to solve this problem somehow ? Uhh... I very want to test this new release..
    Thanx 4 All

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 and ATI cards fglrx problem

No answers ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Angry Re: Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 and ATI cards fglrx problem

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1133844&page=2

look at this

It seems that you need the new version of fglrx, because the old ones are not compatible with the new xorg server in jaunty.
    But a lot of graphic card are not compatible any more with the new version of fglrx.

You have no choice but using open source drivers if they work for you, or staying in 8.10 (like me)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Heh...Its not fair..I will not be able to use this version of ubuntu ? ... Open source drivers is sh*t at the moment.. ......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Buy a new graphics card? I'm going with the "stay with Intrepid for a bit and see if someone develops a workaround" strategy, myself.
    Brian Napoletano
    b.napoletano@gmail.com

Beans

I have just finished this upgrade which tool 4 hours.
    Now on boot up no display.
    I HAVE A ATI RADEON 1600 PRO CARD and had some initial display problems with 8.10 updates, was able to resolve by safe mode options.
    With 9.04 it deletes options and gives no alternative. Cant update my graphics card any more as it is a pci card.
    My system is now stuffed until some one comes up with a solution that can be done on boot up by usb or cd.
    Or worst way complete new install. I have used linux for a year without much trouble. I have a backup of most, but have or will loose data without the time to do it all again. What a shame I can see some people returning to Windows. The programmers need a severe kicking for this, it takes a long time to gain ground against windows only to loose it with this type of upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ick ! could this be true!?! LoL, i too have an ATI card. And im downloading jaunty right now. I'll try it on a seperate partition for testing. If i have any luck or figure anything out i'll let ya know
    http://sekuritysuks.wordpress.com

~$ sudo apt-get meabeer
    E: Invalid operation meabeer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elleppahc View Post
    [...] The programmers need a severe kicking for this, it takes a long time to gain ground against windows only to loose it with this type of upgrade.
    Repeating what are the issues:

- Jaunty comes with X.Org server 1.6 and fglrx 9.4

- only fglrx 9.4 and upper versions will be compatible with xorg-server 1.6, so you cannot use previous versions of fglrx on Jaunty.

- beginning with version 9.4, the fglrx driver have no more support for old GPU models (more info here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...alyst_94&num=1 )

- the 9.4 driver isn't so stable even with the right GPUs

This said, in effect I don't understand why programmers didn't add some "GPU check" on the restricted drivers manager, to remove the possibility to install the driver with the old GPUs (or to advice the users in case of distro upgrade). Maybe with an update this can be fixed...

Beans

heh, i have both an ati machine (that i use daily with two monitors) and a nvidia one, no problems whats so ever on the nvidia one.. pressed the upgrade distro button. blop blopadop all done and working as planned (even better than before) but ive been sitting with my ati machine all day trying to work out the kinks with the new drivers and such... having two monitors arent really helping here either...

so im gonna stick to 8.10 on my ati machine for now... soon im gonna get myself a nvidia card for that one too but i guess ill live for now...

now for the actual testing part.
    i tried the one you install through "Hardware Drivers", i tried without it and just installing 9.4 from atis homepage, and tried withoutanything at all.. just to see.... so far im not sure which one is best.. but im leaning towards the one you get from ubuntu itself.. with alittle tweaking in the "display" tool...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just completed upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04. I used the gui Update Manager. The Upgrade process notified me that the ATI fglrx driver was not supported and gave me the option to stop the upgrade or continue with default opensource driver. I don't use compiz and I have not see the new notification alerts yet. Flash playback is acceptable and the gui screens render fine.
    I do see on bootup some freezing pixelation screen before the hour glass and it is slow to draw the initial desktop. After, it settles down initial testing seems fine.
    I am using an old ati radeon xpress card that only has 128MB of ram.
    Just thought I would share my initial results.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast