Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 and ATI cards fglrx problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 and ATI cards fglrx problem

Yep. Graphics performance was all but pathetic in 9.04 with my Mobility Radeon 9000.

'Course, being on a laptop means that if I want a new video adapter, I have to buy a new laptop.

Oh well, I was planning on it anyway...
    I have some computers and stuff. Really.
    Dell Precision M6500 - 8GB/560GB - Ubuntu MATE 16.04/Win7Pro
    Macbook 2,1 C2D 2.16 13" 4GB/120GB - Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

I tried the live cd and even that is not working. I have a HD2600 pro.
    The splashscreen appears and then there's the black screen with some lines of colors at the top of the screen. I tried in safe mode but then I can't get the resolution right. My monitor is a wide screen with resolution 1680x1050. In safe mode I have only 1024x768.

I made the switch to ubuntu with Dapper Drake. Every new release was better than the one before. This in not the case anymore.

Also my laptom with an intel graphics card cannot run Compiz anymore.
    Ubuntu is going backwards.

Beans

I've got a Thinkpad T43 with an ATI x300. I upgraded yesterday and saw the scrambled screen. I downgraded to the radeon driver by booting in recovery mode and

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx
    Jaunty is really pretty, and now I can at least see it, but my processor is constantly loaded and I have some weird scrambled graphics problems when scrolling 2D windows sometimes.

I suppose I'm behind the times, but it seems odd for AMD/ATI to consider a card "legacy" that is five years old and still obviously in wide use...

Is there a way to only downgrade the Xorg server?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by s3lekta View Post
    sorry guys,stupid question.... will step 1 work if i have installed this through wubi?

also for step #1, I can just use my ubuntu 8.10 cd to boot up right?

last question, for step #3. how would i determine what to mount? ex: which sda number? like what he used above, sda5.

i just want to make sure, so i dont end up upgrading and then get stuck at a black screen again ... then restore back to 8.10

thanks
    The is three basic things you must do. Find the right file. Get it somewhere you can access on the affected system. Boot to the command line as root and run it.

I have no experience with wubi so can not help directly. The first step, finding the file, can be done with any machine. My steps were to allow that to be the affected machine. In your case you could find it from Windows and write the target URL, carefully, on paper. Then boot the affected system to a command line in recovery mode, use wget and hand enter the URL you wrote down. Then run it. That would save all the complication of mounting partitions etc and may be the best way in your case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I can't begin to express my frustration with this. I am new to Ubuntu about 6 months ago. I amazed at how 8.10 handles graphics on my laptop with an Xpress 1100 card. Now, I can't run compiz and things just don't look right. Is there any hope for a future driver or we pretty much SOL? Hopefully someone could shed some light so I can just go back to Intrepid.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ukoda View Post
    The is three basic things you must do. Find the right file. Get it somewhere you can access on the affected system. Boot to the command line as root and run it.

I have no experience with wubi so can not help directly. The first step, finding the file, can be done with any machine. My steps were to allow that to be the affected machine. In your case you could find it from Windows and write the target URL, carefully, on paper. Then boot the affected system to a command line in recovery mode, use wget and hand enter the URL you wrote down. Then run it. That would save all the complication of mounting partitions etc and may be the best way in your case.
    thanks, for responding ... that makes sense i'll give it a shot

Beans

I run a six-year old Shuttle XPC that includes an ATI RV350 (as Radeon 9550) onboard graphics card. As I used the update manager to upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04, I also received the message about the ATI fglrx on my system not supported. Being the fool-hearty type, I clicked to continue the upgrade.

To my surprize, the upgrade went smoothly, my display is working, compiz is working, and I didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary.

Is my card new enought that it is being supported? I am not the lucky type, so pure luck cannot be the explanation for my lack of problems.

Caruso
    Last edited by carusoswi; April 25th, 2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: corrected information

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu 9.04 upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 and ATI cards fglrx problem

Hi,

I stopped upgrade after the warning, that my X800 /RV400 ot 450/ is no more supported. But I have the question, ati writes on their www, that users using older chips should use their 9.3 driver. Does this mean, tthat this driver will work on 9.04 or not?
    Ubuntu just says, there is no support.

Does this mean, that al users with older chips should stay in 8.10 Ubuntu or buy a new card?

Considering this, and also previous problems with ATI drivers under Linux, I have a strong feeling, that I will not buy ATI anymore but nVidia maybe...

Ales

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ales View Post
    Hi,

I stopped upgrade after the warning, that my X800 /RV400 ot 450/ is no more supported. But I have the question, ati writes on their www, that users using older chips should use their 9.3 driver. Does this mean, tthat this driver will work on 9.04 or not?
    Ubuntu just says, there is no support.

Does this mean, that al users with older chips should stay in 8.10 Ubuntu or buy a new card?

Considering this, and also previous problems with ATI drivers under Linux, I have a strong feeling, that I will not buy ATI anymore but nVidia maybe...

Ales
    It won't work because the driver 9.3 is not compatible with X.org Server 1.6

Beans
    Hidden!

WellI upgraded to 9.04 yesterday and everything was going fine. I was playing Quake4, Doom3 and UT2K4 flawlessly. Booted up this morning and black screen with a garbled red stripe near to the top (the login screen) and the whole system locked up.

I had to reboot in recovery mode, do the x server fix and then drop to the root terminal and do "sudo apt-get remove fglrx*" and hope for the best. That got it working again, but I see that the newer driver is still not available. I can only get the older driver (8.3?) through apt and this apparently doesn't work with the latest version of xorg?? This begs the question: Why was it working for me last night?? I had rebooted as well about 3 times and it was still working.

I'm downloading the 9.4 drivers from ATI now. I have an HD 3650 so fingers crossed it will work.
    Last edited by caravel; April 25th, 2009 at 10:37 AM.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast