Thread: Mount point problem

Beans

Solved - Mount point problem

In attempting to add an additional hard disk I have somehow stuffed up the mount point for the drive as I get the following message when I attempt to mount the drive. See attached screenshot.

Any help would be appreciated. David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Suncoaster; April 23rd, 2009 at 10:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Mount point problem

Did you set the mount point in nautilus (Properties > Volume tab)? If so, what did you enter.

If that's not the case, what did you change to get the volume to mount?
    Guide to forum text formatting code. Please use them | Use descriptive thread titles.

Beans

Yes I did, and I think I entered /work, but I am not sure if it was "work" but I remember I entered the "/".

David

Beans
    Distro

The mount point on the volume tab is the mount point under /media which will be used. For example, if you enter just 'work' then the volume will be mounted at '/media/work'.

You can not use "/" in the mount point name (hence the error). If you would like to mount the volume at '/work', you'll likely need an entry in /etc/fstab.

If you would like to look into using fstab, look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    Guide to forum text formatting code. Please use them | Use descriptive thread titles.

Beans

Thank you for the link, I will check it out. In the meantime how do I remove the '/' in the label. I checked /media and the drive is not listed there, and unless I can mount the drive I do not have access to the properties/volume tab.

David
    Last edited by Suncoaster; April 23rd, 2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: change /media to /volume

Beans
    Distro

You can try to manually mount the drive under media and see if you can to the volume tab to remove the "/".

First you need to create a directory to mount the drive to. Open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/mount_point
    (mount_point can be any name you choose)

Now mount the drive, you will need to know name of the device you want to mount and the file system (ask if you don't know and we can figure it out).

Code:
    sudo mount -t [type of file system] /dev/sdXY /media/mount_point
    Where X is the drive and Y is the partition.

After that is done, go to the volume tab of the properties window in nautilus.

Beans

Tim, Thank you all is now OK. That's what I like about these forums, there is always someone willing to help with your problems.

Regards
    David