Thread: USB boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

USB boot

Any recommendations on some applications i can use to create bootable USB's from a disk or ISO file? The one Ubuntu comes with wont work on many of my ISO's and CD's.
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: USB boot

My apologies, i thought you were asking if there was a way to do it. My preffered way of creating bootable USB drives is the built in program in 8.10. I have tried a few others, but none really seemed to work as well for me.

Yes, you can make bootable USB drives easily form an ISO. If you are using 8.10 there is a program in the system/administration menu that will assist you. For more information search for bootable USB in the forums.
    Last edited by john183; April 22nd, 2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: realized that i had mis-read the question

Beans

Unetbootin is the most popular. If that doesn't fit your needs, check out the detailed tutorials at pendrivelinux.com.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

EDIT : john, I think he's saying that the one in the system >> administration menu doesn't work well for other distributions.

also, shadow, which distributions does that application not work with? ive used it with a bunch and they all seem to work fine. maybe you dont have enough space on your usb drive?

meanwhile, try unetbootin:
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    check out the list of supported distributions on their homepage

Quote Originally Posted by john183 View Post
    Yes, you can make bootable USB drives easily form an ISO. If you are using 8.10 there is a program in the system/administration menu that will assist you. For more information search for bootable USB in the forums.
    Last edited by FaizanKazi; April 22nd, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
    Computer Sciences major - Univ of Texas at Austin, USA
    Acer Aspire 5672 - Core Duo 1.66Ghz, 2GB DDR2, 320 GB HDD, Ati x1400.
    To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The tool in 8.10 not suffice?
    http://sekuritysuks.wordpress.com

~$ sudo apt-get meabeer
    E: Invalid operation meabeer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow121 View Post
    The one Ubuntu comes with wont work on many of my ISO's and CD's.
    That seems odd -- what do you mean "won't work" -- is there an error output that you can post, so we can learn the nature of the problem? The way you phrase it, it sounds like it works on some ISO files, but not others -- what is the difference between the ones that work and the ones that don't?

However, here's a pretty good tutorial on the subject, covering multiple methods:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089474.0
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ahhh i got the one in ubuntu to work finally. I guess i was using a bad iso file......

Thanks for the recommendations guys
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page