Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst release so far for me..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Worst release so far for me..

Ok, I tought it might be ok to install today since it will be released tomorrow and all alphas and betas I've tried were fine.

Installation went smooth as always. Then I rebooted and found out I could not click my gnomepanels. I logged out and back in again. That fixed the problem but gave me a new one. Gnome-settings-daemon failed to start and I had no soundcontrol or theme.

I was going to ask for some help in #ubuntu+1 when pidgin kept segfaulting for me. I downloaded another IRC-client and when I was just seconds from logging in I got the infamous hard freeze and had to reboot. This hard freeze have since I installed appeared 5 times. Judging from the forums I am not the only one with that freezeproblem

I keep my fingers crossed that I will be able to download the Intrepid-ISO before another hard freeze forces me to reboot

Beans

Re: Worst release so far for me..

Quote Originally Posted by olskar View Post
    Ok, I tought it might be ok to install today since it will be released tomorrow and all alphas and betas I've tried were fine.

Installation went smooth as always. Then I rebooted and found out I could not click my gnomepanels. I logged out and back in again. That fixed the problem but gave me a new one. Gnome-settings-daemon failed to start and I had no soundcontrol or theme.

I was going to ask for some help in #ubuntu+1 when pidgin kept segfaulting for me. I downloaded another IRC-client and when I was just seconds from logging in I got the infamous hard freeze and had to reboot. This hard freeze have since I installed appeared 5 times. Judging from the forums I am not the only one with that freezeproblem

I keep my fingers crossed that I will be able to download the Intrepid-ISO before another hard freeze forces me to reboot
    if you are having hard freezes (probable due to xorg or display drivers) id suggest you take note of the download link and use wget through a terminal.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
    if you are having hard freezes (probable due to xorg or display drivers) id suggest you take note of the download link and use wget through a terminal.
    Haha, firefox segfaulted and aborted my download just when I had read your answer wget it is

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Shame about that for you been really fine here.
    Must be hardware related. Hope you file a bug report.

Beans

mmm...all these problems make me suspect about a bad iso? Did you check md5sum? Maybe you could try downloading that again...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Shame about that for you been really fine here.
    Must be hardware related. Hope you file a bug report.
    Yes, the funny thing is that it used to be more stable in alpha than one day from final

I guess I am suffering from the same freezebug as some of those people. I get the same freeze in three different computers running Jaunty.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1128583
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1127591
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1129414
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1129729

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

By installing the Beta today, you installed the beta that was released weeks ago.
    I've seen several hundred updates since I installed the Beta version the day it was released.

My suggestion is to wait one or two days and download the final release. At that stage, if you still have problems, it will be easier to help you.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by megamania View Post
    By installing the Beta today, you installed the beta that was released weeks ago.
    I've seen several hundred updates since I installed the Beta version the day it was released.

My suggestion is to wait one or two days and download the final release. At that stage, if you still have problems, it will be easier to help you.
    Ah sorry, I forgot to write that it was a daily build I installed, I think it was one or two days old

Beans

Ah sorry, I forgot to write that it was a daily build I installed, I think it was one or two days old
    So why would you call it the worst release then instead of the worst daily build?
    OB-untu. #!crunchbang

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xebian View Post
    So why would you call it the worst release then instead of the worst daily build?
    Touché However I do not think the freezebug(s) will be fixed for tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast