Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: HOWTO: Installing Neverwinter Nights Platinum

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Installing Neverwinter Nights Platinum

The script isn't working for me at all. I get to the cdrom path, and since I'm using ubuntu 11.10 I figured it would be /media/cdrom however it keeps closing out the script when I enter that and hit enter. Any advice on how to fix it?

EDIT: Found that I was getting an INVALID DEVICE error, am looking for the solution...will post it if I find it.
    Last edited by Einder; January 13th, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
    Careless acts have caused a scar, it won't be the last of many, some of which may never heal.

Linux makes for simply the best O/S.

Beans

Okay, I'm running into some problems, too. I used to use linux a lot. Mind you, used to. So, now that I have a newish laptop (Dell Latitude E5400 - integrated Intel video and sound) to play with I have been trying to get nwn to work in Ubuntu to currently no avail. Actually, it works, but just with no sound.

To remove any chance that I've mucked things up by trying to get expansion packs installed, I've done the bare minimum to get a 1.29 install to work.

in my home directory...

mkdir ./nwn
    tar -xvjf ../nwresources129.tar.gz
    cd ~/nwn
    tar -xvjf ../Downloads/nwclient129.tar.gz

When I type ./nwn I'm able to launch the game, but there is no audio and the audio options screen does not have any sound providers under advanced sound options. Additionally, the only speaker configurations available are 5.1 and 7.1. When choosing either of these, the game crashes.

Beans

Amazing what search will do.

Added the libsdl1.2debian-esd package and then added the following to my nwn script :

Code:
    export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=esd

Beans

Hey All,

I've been trying to install this on 11.10 with no success. I've got everything up to the "INVALID DEVICE! Please check the device and try again". We got around this on 10.04 by unpacking the ISO into the media file directly and in 10.04 it worked. In 11.10....it does not. I've also tried various file folders created into the media folder with names matching the /media/dvd that the installation program calls for as well as various NWN or NW_DIAMOND names. No luck/joy. Anyone familiar with the installation program "install-nwn.sh" might be able to help, but my linux programming is non-existant. Please help. This is a wonderful game and I'd like to be able to use it under Linux/Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by AfterBerner View Post
    Hey All,

I've been trying to install this on 11.10 with no success. I've got everything up to the "INVALID DEVICE! Please check the device and try again". We got around this on 10.04 by unpacking the ISO into the media file directly and in 10.04 it worked. In 11.10....it does not. I've also tried various file folders created into the media folder with names matching the /media/dvd that the installation program calls for as well as various NWN or NW_DIAMOND names. No luck/joy. Anyone familiar with the installation program "install-nwn.sh" might be able to help, but my linux programming is non-existant. Please help. This is a wonderful game and I'd like to be able to use it under Linux/Ubuntu.

It's waste of time, run it on wine it's far more stable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Talking Re: HOWTO: Installing Neverwinter Nights Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by ergo-proxy View Post
    Hmmm...I have been running Neverwinter Nights with the Linux client for over four years. I have not had to reinstall it in quite a while (my /home directory is on a separate drive), but here's a post from the GOG.com forums (where they sell the Platinum Edition for a measly $10):
    http://www.gog.com/en/forum/neverwin...yability/page1

This may help ya out.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ergo-proxy View Post
    Actually I have not found that so on this attempt to install it. Installing in wine gives me crashes with no error reported from both main.exe and nwn.exe. But it did work beautifully before.

I did get it to work however following this guide:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...HqvBYJjBOpfxvQ
    I cannot get kingmaker working or any of the premium modules but I read somewhere that that could be because they have to authenticate and they no longer can, so I didn't install them this time. (wish I would have read that before wasting time trying) Also I cant seem to get the movies working either.
    Last edited by vanquishedangel; May 3rd, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Has anyone got a precomiled version of nwmouse.so they can post up for me to try?
    I've spent two days searching and downloading various libraries trying to compile this for myself but have hit a brick wall trying to bring in libsdl1.2-dev:386 since when I try to do so, apt wants to uninstall half my OS (seriously)! I'm currently on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (not that I can amend my original profile to add that - whoever made the decision to retrospectively add a policy of 25 posts before that can be done needs their bumps felt).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Colsta View Post
    Has anyone got a precomiled version of nwmouse.so they can post up for me to try?
    There you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You sir are a gentleman for posting that so quickly - you have my thanks. It's all working splendidly now.

Having spent no more than about 20 minutes installing NWN on linux natively (thanks to Leech and other helpful souls both here and in the Bioware forums), I spent two long days playing the library shuffle trying to get this last aspect working only to get stymied when the end was in sight. (Incidentally I see I'm not alone having problems importing libsdl1.2-dev:386 as there's a similar bug in launchpad.)
    Last edited by Colsta; April 5th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647