Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NVidia Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: NVidia Driver

Could you try just copy pasting that command exactly as it is into a terminal(from within the GUI). Don't substitute `uname -r` for anything- It basically asks the system which version of the kernel is in use.

I think there might have been a typo when you typed it in(those are not quote marks around the uname -r, it's the little squiggly thing in the top row of the keyboard to the left of the 1,2,3 buttons- `uname -r' not 'uname -r' ) This was the same mistake I made the first time I tried

eg:
    Code:
    bala@bala-desktop:~$ uname -r
    2.6.28-11-generic

bala@bala-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    [sudo] password for bala: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    build-essential set to manually installed.
    linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic is already the newest version.
    linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic set to manually installed.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded
    In Intrepid, I think the current version should be linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic

So you can also just substitute `uname -r` with 2.6.27-11-generic so that the command looks like this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic
    Hope this clears your doubt.

All the best.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
    Mahatma Gandhi
    When I feed the poor, they call me a saint; when I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara, South American priest

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ah! Got that thanks.

OK. I got through to the installation sequence of the driver. It went as you said, but at one point it threw up a warning, as follows:

WARNING:
    The runtime configuration check failed for library `libGL.so.180.51 (Expected: `/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/libGL.so.1 Found: (not found)). The most likely reason for this is that the library was installed to the wrong location.

After that, it seemed to complete the installation OK, so I restarted the GUI. The I got the same old 'Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode' message, followed by the following errors:

(EE) NVIDIA(0) failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module! Please ensure that there is a supported NVIDIA GPU in this system and that the NVIDIA device files have been created properly.
    Please consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    ***Aborting***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

I checked the file location mentioned in the warning and the libGL.so.1 is there, in exactly the right place. So I'm not sure why that error occurred.
    Last edited by gewitty; April 25th, 2009 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Could you reboot and see how it goes? This really is pretty unusual. It looks pretty much like an installation failure. Did you run the `uname -r` part correctly?

The only other reason I can think of is an improperly packaged driver installer.
    BTW, since you're using the 64-bit version of Ubuntu, did you download the 64-bit driver?

I don't have an nVidia card at present, but I could dig out my old one on Monday and give it a go and see if I can replicate the error.

Doing a quick search shows a lot of people having trouble with the new drivers.
    I wonder if anyone on the nVidia forums has had similar issues.

I think maybe for now, you should stick with the 'nv' drivers(the free open source drivers).
    Last edited by balaknair; April 25th, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
    Mahatma Gandhi
    When I feed the poor, they call me a saint; when I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara, South American priest

Beans
    Distro

OK, hunting around a bit more, I found another option

A PPA repository which has the latest nVidia drivers packaged for Ubuntu.
    https://launchpad.net/~thefirstm/+archive/ppa

Uninstall the drivers you installed- open a console shell(ctrl-alt-F1) and stop GDM, then run the commands
    sudo sh ./NVIDIA***.run --uninstall
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

This returns the GUI configuration to a basic fallback state.
    Now reboot after starting the GUI with the command
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

After rebooting, just follow the link given above and follow the instructions given to add the PPA to your repositories. Run update manager and check for updates. Then you can install the drivers via the 'Hardware manager'
    This seems to have worked for a few people who ran into trouble with the nvidia package.

Hopefully, it'll work for you

All the best.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Balaknair. Thanks for all your help, your time was really appreciated.

I tried your last idea, but sadly, got the same errors.

I think I'm going to have to try a complete re-installation of the OS. There has to be something screwed up somewhere to cause all this trouble and I could spend hours looking for it.

It's a real pain, as I had the whole system set up the way I want it, with all the packages installed and the whole thing configured. But that's life.

Thanks again for your help. I'll post here again once I've rebuilt the system, hopefully with good news. Might not be for a couple of days though.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

gewitty if you want the latest 180.51 driver use this repo and save the trouble of manually installing.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...29&postcount=2

a side note: manually installed drivers will break with future linux kernel updates, when installed from synaptic is best.

in your situation i noticed you purged some stuff, you may need to manually select the components in synaptic, i could name them if you wish.

Beans
    Distro

If you're going to reinstall, you could try Ubuntu 9.04, I've been using it since Alpha 6 and it's pretty good, hardware support seems better than in Intrepid(though I've only tested it on two systems so far).

If you're going to install the same version of Ubuntu(8.10) then I suggest you follow the howto on this page to get all the packages you want back when you reinstall.
    http://mybrainrunslinux.squarespace....ons-witho.html

To avoid having to download the packages again, use Apt-on-CD to save all the packages you have in the apt-cache(sudo apt-get install aptoncd) to CD or DVD and after reinstalling Ubuntu, put the disk in the drive and add it to your repositories(System menu> Admin...> Software Sources--> add CD). Apt-get will use the packages on the disk unless there is a new version available in the repos.

To save and restore your custom settings, app settings, bookmarks etc, copy the files in your home folder(most of these settings are in hidden folders, press ctrl-h to view hidden folders in the file browser) to an external drive or CD/DVD, and copy them over to the new home folder after installation.
    It is always advisable to have a separate partition for your home folder since it preserves your personal data in the event of reinstalling the OS. An excellent guide here:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Since you're reinstalling you can start afresh and create a new /home partition by opting for 'Manual Partitioning' this time around and then copy all the files(including hidden files) into your new /home/user_name folder to restore your custom settings(most of them anyway); this would probably be easier right now.

Hope you find this useful.

All the best.
    Last edited by balaknair; April 25th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

Not that it matters now, considering the direction this thread has gone, but I have a documented howto on manually installing nvidia drivers in ubuntu, and how to keep them in sync with kernel updates.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1125400

@balaknair
    The reason why the OP didn't have success with manually installing earlier was because the Ubuntu drivers were still installed on the system, and were conflicting with the NViDIA ones.

Regards
    Iain
    Last edited by ibuclaw; April 25th, 2009 at 10:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    Not that it matters now, considering the direction this thread has gone, but I have a documented howto on manually installing nvidia drivers in ubuntu, and how to keep them in sync with kernel updates.

i like testing the beta's, thanks for the tutorial tinivole.

tinivole we need a thumbs up smile for the forums

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post

@balaknair
    The reason why the OP didn't have success with manually installing earlier was because the Ubuntu drivers were still installed on the system, and were conflicting with the NViDIA ones.

Regards
    Iain
    I was going through your howto earlier today, nice work.

I believe I'd added the step to uninstall the Ubuntu drivers in the instructions I'd given
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-glx* nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common
    This wouldn't have affected the nv drivers though, and from your howto, it seems that could be a problem for some. Is that what you meant here?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast