Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to select a different usplash screen from Ubuntu to Kubuntu to Xubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to select a different usplash screen from Ubuntu to Kubuntu to Xubuntu

sportsfan986. I am not sure if getting rid of the status bar is simple. If I find out more abt it.. I will update my howto accordingly.
    ~byen

Edit: Nope.. looks like trying to get rid of the status bar ends up crashing the usplash. Im not sure if it is even worth trying. Sorry Sportsfan986.. If anyone knows more abt the statusbar options please let us know.Thanks!
    Last edited by byen; April 29th, 2006 at 05:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

I cant get this command to work:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-'uname -r'
    Use this instead:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)
    -cheers, groggyboy

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey Groggyboy,
    I have tried and tested this on Breezy and to the best of my knowledge this seems to work. From your Nick Info I see that you are currently using Dapper? so was this issue on your Dapper install? and did the command you mentioned work on Dapper? Please let me know so that I can update my howto accordingly. Thanks for the heads up
    ~byen

Beans

I tried to build my own Splash and well.........I get a black screen LOL but it boots finally. Not sure where I went wrong. Here is the splash I made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crashbootsplash.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.5 KB 
ID:	9513  

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think usplash themes can only have, if I remember off the top of my head correctly, 16 colors like grub themes.

Here is a link to the wiki on usplash customization.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/USplashCustomizationHowto
    #399784 | Ubuntu User #287
    *** If you're going to program, install the damn build-essential package ***
    There is no such thing as Ubuntu specific programming
    Save the electrons - if you quote, trim!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Wow that was the fastest solution out of all those little things that go wrong I've ever seen Much thanks!
    Dell XPS 15Z w Bumblebee
    13.10 64bit, running like a charm (w 14.04 & Windows 7 VMs also running aces).

Beans
    Distro

Byen: I am running dapper. Before I go claiming that the command I had to use is the command everyone has to use in dapper, you should maybe get some other dapper user to test it out. It might very well be due to some package or other I have installed.

Nonetheless, using "linux-image-'uname -r' simply doesn't work for me.

But whatever the case, the end result is the same.

Thanks for the how to!

groggyboy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Don't forget that the quote characters in the command

linux-image-`uname -r`

are not the "forward" ones under the double quote (") key, they are "back" quotes (usually found with the ~) key.

Using backquotes causes the command inside to be executed and the output used in place.

eg:

$ uname -r

$ echo linux-image-'uname -r'
    linux-image-uname -r

$ echo linux-image-`uname -r`
    linux-image-2.6.16

Beans
    Distro

mbeierl - that would explain why it wasn't working for me.

in any case, both "linux-image-`uname -r`" and "linux-image-$(uname -r)" work.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have now tested this How-to on Breezy as well as on Dapper and it seems to work well. groggyboy and mbeierl, thank you for your input! I have now updated my how-to based on the information you guys have provided here. Thank you guys!
    ~byen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12