Thread: Computer freezes on bootup

Beans

Computer freezes on bootup

Hello everyone. I downloaded Ubuntu, and burned it to a CD, checked everything and the disk appears to be ok. When I put the disk in the cd drive and restart the computer it boots to the installation disk and when I click on "Install ubuntu", the computer freezes. Any help?

Beans

Re: Computer freezes on bootup

make sure you have the Live bootable version.

boot the pc with it, this means to boot but not do an actual install, if the pc boots up to a graphical display, then the actual install will work.

there is also an alternate live cd that can be used to boot if a particular machine has trouble booting to a graphical display.

there are instances where an actual install seems to fail even after proving the display worked just by booting with the live cd, when this happens there are a couple of files that need to be edited. this can be gone into later if needed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by upchucky View Post
    make sure you have the Live bootable version.
    How do I do that?

boot the pc with it, this means to boot but not do an actual install, if the pc boots up to a graphical display, then the actual install will work.
    Yeah it boots up to the ubuntu install screen, but as soon as I select "Install Ubuntu" and push enter, my computer does nothing.

there is also an alternate live cd that can be used to boot if a particular machine has trouble booting to a graphical display.
    I would be willing to try this. Where would I find it?

there are instances where an actual install seems to fail even after proving the display worked just by booting with the live cd, when this happens there are a couple of files that need to be edited. this can be gone into later if needed.
    That may be an option if nothing else works

Beans

google ubuntu live cd, and ubuntu alternate cd

it seems that the cd you have is only an install cd, the live cd is a great way to see if your hardware is compatible

Beans

Ok, im sure I have the live bootable cd. I'm going to try to re-download and burn the cd and try it all from scratch. I'll come back if it still doesn't work.

Beans

Actually I did get ubuntu to install from within windows and it worked fine. The problem that I heard can arise with that is that when it is done that way, ubuntu will only run on top of windows. I want both Windows and ubuntu, but I want them to run completely independantly from each other. Should I try to install it from the boot up? Or is it ok to install it from within Windows?