Thread: Samba write permissions

Beans

Samba write permissions

Hi,
    Ive gone through countless forums about this to no avail.

I setup a samba server on my Ubuntu box so that I can read and write files on it from my Windows laptop.

The problem is that I can not write to the shared folder from Windows (I get a "ACCESS DENIED" in Windows).

I am trying to enable read and write access to anyone on my network, with no passwords.

My samba conf file for the share directory looks like:

Code:
    [Apache]
    comment = Apache2 Server config and htdocs
    path = /usr/local/apache2/
    writable = yes
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Samba write permissions

Can you please post your entire smb.conf file?

Beans

Hello, sorry if what I write is obvious and you've done it already, but sometimes the easy things are ignore until someone tells us about them and we realised that we forgot somthing tiny.

What write permissions do you have on the shared folder and on the files that is contains? I do not mean the permissions on the smb config, you've already posted those, but rather I mean the permissions on the server box itself. You may need to phisically go to the computer that serves the shared folder and CHMOD and/or CHOWN the folder and its contents with the right permissions.

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by awe View Post
    Hello, sorry if what I write is obvious and you've done it already, but sometimes the easy things are ignore until someone tells us about them and we realised that we forgot somthing tiny.

What write permissions do you have on the shared folder and on the files that is contains? I do not mean the permissions on the smb config, you've already posted those, but rather I mean the permissions on the server box itself. You may need to phisically go to the computer that serves the shared folder and CHMOD and/or CHOWN the folder and its contents with the right permissions.

Regards
    That's a REALLY good point.

According to your post:
    Quote Originally Posted by swraman View Post
    Code:
    [Apache]
    comment = Apache2 Server config and htdocs
    path = /usr/local/apache2/
    writable = yes
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    Thanks
    You're trying to share /usr/local/apache2. That folder is owned by root, and should NEVER EVER EVER be shared ... ever. And whatever you do, don't chown or chmod them, because apache wouldn't be able to use them anymore.

If you want to configure your apache files remotely, use ssh.