Hidden!

Re: NEW FORUM FEATURE - Show/Hide Post Counts

Cool, I like this feature. Thanks.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans

I can still see it by going to profile > mini statistics. I wish that that was gone.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lame feature -- If one is too insecure about revealing the bean count -- that's the user's problem and insecurity. Its nice to know when helping people if they are a novice or not to direct your instructions. I know many people don't like profiling, but I usually assume noobies are those with lower bean counts, and this assumption is usually correct. It becomes quite obvious on the complexity of the conversation if the person is truly green or not, however oftentimes this may take several posts. Assumptions are good, particularly when you are the one giving help. The ones needing help are often insecure -- get over it!! Everyone was green once!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Lame feature -- If one is too insecure about revealing the bean count -- that's the user's problem and insecurity. Its nice to know when helping people if they are a novice or not to direct your instructions. I know many people don't like profiling, but I usually assume noobies are those with lower bean counts, and this assumption is usually correct. It becomes quite obvious on the complexity of the conversation if the person is truly green or not, however oftentimes this may take several posts. Assumptions are good, particularly when you are the one giving help. The ones needing help are often insecure -- get over it!! Everyone was green once!
    I give the feature a +1. To me it has nothing to do with insecurity. It has everything to do with profiling. Having a few hundred good beans is better than a few thousand pointless ones, and I'd rather not deal with people who think beans = anything more than clicking submit outside of the Cafe.
    Last edited by toupeiro; April 21st, 2009 at 07:02 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wasn't there already such a feature o.O ?

Beans
    Hidden!

Doesn't worry me. Sometimes I miss the "thanks" button, which could be used together with post/bean count as a more reliable guide to a regular contributor's ability to help. Of course, that's if it can be reinstated without the problems that led to it being disabled in the first place.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Doesn't worry me. Sometimes I miss the "thanks" button, which could be used together with post/bean count as a more reliable guide to a regular contributor's ability to help. Of course, that's if it can be reinstated without the problems that led to it being disabled in the first place.
    I actually liked the thanks option a lot as well! Some people got abusive with it in a few ridiculous threads, but when used properly, I thought it was a good tool to judge the value of a post or a walk through.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I know many people don't like profiling, but I usually assume noobies are those with lower bean counts, and this assumption is usually correct.
    In my case, your assumption would be wrong!

I have been here since Aug 2006, which would be about 7 months before you, but I have only racked up 99 posts (+ those in CC).

Of course, we all know what happens when someone assumes something ..............................
    Last edited by Dale61; April 21st, 2009 at 08:11 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    I actually liked the thanks option a lot as well! Some people got abusive with it in a few ridiculous threads, but when used properly, I thought it was a good tool to judge the value of a post or a walk through.
    I know I was guilty of being a bit silly one or two times, but at the same time, I found myself checking which of my posts had been thanked, and then taking a look to see if any follow-up was needed.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Reinstate the thanks button +1.

I agree that when used as intended, it gave an insight on who to ask whenever I encountered a problem. Far too many posters thanked others for something that was even helpful!

'LOL, yo, I have a funny joke.'

'That wasn't funny, but here's a thank you anyway.'

WTF!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast