Thread: Anyone using a newer HP printer; just a few questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Anyone using a newer HP printer; just a few questions.

I'm looking at HP inkjet & laserjet printers. It seems HP is the only printer that supports Linux. I was wondering if things like both i386 & amd64 were supported? If ink monitors, page resizing & border to border were funtional? Could those of you that have an HP please respond with your experiences.
    Thanks

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Anyone using a newer HP printer; just a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by GARoss View Post
    I was wondering if things like both i386 & amd64 were supported? If ink monitors, page resizing & border to border were funtional?
    64-bit: Yes. Plug it in and go on both 32-bit and 64-bit. Worked in Hardy, working now in Jaunty.

Ink Monitors: Yes from what I can tell. I don't check very often but I'm 99% sure they do (or have).

Border-to-Border: Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean border-less printing of photos? If so, yes, at least up to 5" x 7" prints (the biggest I've done).

I'm using a Photosmart D7460 and am very happy with it generally speaking.

EDIT:
    Having re-read your post I would just tell you that HP is not your only choice for a Linux-compatible printer.

HP does provide better than average support (far, FAR better IMO) for Linux however, generally speaking, and for that reason you'll see HP printers suggested here quite frequently. Overall they're your best bet for "plug-and-go" compatibility.
    Last edited by Therion; April 20th, 2009 at 07:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    64-bit: Yes. Plug it in and go on both 32-bit and 64-bit. Worked in Hardy, working now in Jaunty.

Ink Monitors: Yes from what I can tell. I don't check very often but I'm 99% sure they do (or have).

Border-to-Border: Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean border-less printing of photos? If so, yes, at least up to 5" x 7" prints (the biggest I've done).

I'm using a Photosmart D7460 and am very happy with it generally speaking.

EDIT:
    Having re-read your post I would just tell you that HP is not your only choice for a Linux-compatible printer.

HP does provide better than average support (far, FAR better IMO) for Linux however, generally speaking, and for that reason you'll see HP printers suggested here quite frequently. Overall they're your best bet for "plug-and-go" compatibility.
    Thanks, Therion
    Sorry, Border-less is correct.
    I've looked online @ Canon & Epson as well but not seeing Linux drivers listed at their sites. http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi says a number of newer printers perform very well (using CUPS drivers I presume) but still not clear if border-less & other software features work.

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

You might have a look at the Hardware Compatibility List for Ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...onentsPrinters

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For printer compatability, check the OpenPrinting Database.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...onentsPrinters & OpenPrinting Database says it all.
    Thanks