Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless half of what it was in Intrepid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wireless half of what it was in Intrepid.

I guess Im more confused. Your dmesg states you have an internet connection:

[ 52.572995] wlan0: authenticate with AP 00:14:bf:10:e3:4a
    [ 52.574493] wlan0: authenticated
    [ 52.574497] wlan0: associate with AP 00:14:bf:10:e3:4a
    [ 52.576539] wlan0: RX AssocResp from 00:14:bf:10:e3:4a (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=1)
    [ 52.576542] wlan0: associated

I'm not sure what to suggest since some of the output you give us is conflicting. In some cases you have a connection, in others you do not! Have you tried unloading and reloading the driver (modprobe statements) and then making a manual connection? A helpful link may be found in my signature. Its also possibly a driver problem. I dont know a lot about the ath5k_pci driver -- Have you found more info on this driver on google or the linuxwireless.org website?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the help kevdog. One more question: Why would my wireless connection be fine in Intrepid but have a problem in Jaunty? How could I have messed up a driver (or something else) just by doing an install?

Beans
    Distro

Here is what I suspect -- the ath5k open source driver contained within the newer Jaunty kernel is different than that contained in the Intrepid kernel. The ath5k is an internal kernel module compiled into the kernel (if you ever compile your own kernel you have the option to include support for ath5k or not!). My suspicion is that the ath5k driver was updated with the new kernel, possibly causing problems. You can always recompile the ath5k from source and try this version if you need to. I would definitely do a search for problems related to ath5k and your kernel version -- which can be found by typing
    uname -r
    at the command line. Hopefully with the mainline Jaunty release in a few days, this problem will be explored and a solution found. Its difficult for me to support you on this problem since I don't own that chipset or a similar chipset supported by ath5k and Im not currently running Jaunty. Ill upgrade after a week or two after the release when all the activity settles down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Here is what I suspect -- the ath5k open source driver contained within the newer Jaunty kernel is different than that contained in the Intrepid kernel. The ath5k is an internal kernel module compiled into the kernel (if you ever compile your own kernel you have the option to include support for ath5k or not!). My suspicion is that the ath5k driver was updated with the new kernel, possibly causing problems. You can always recompile the ath5k from source and try this version if you need to. I would definitely do a search for problems related to ath5k and your kernel version -- which can be found by typing
    uname -r
    at the command line. Hopefully with the mainline Jaunty release in a few days, this problem will be explored and a solution found. Its difficult for me to support you on this problem since I don't own that chipset or a similar chipset supported by ath5k and Im not currently running Jaunty. Ill upgrade after a week or two after the release when all the activity settles down.
    Thanks a lot for the info. I'll probably just go back to 8.10 if I can't figure it out after a few weeks.

Beans
    Distro

I don't know for certain if that chipset is supported by the procedure, but a lot of people eschew the "ath5k" driver in favour of compiling the latest version of "madwifi".
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Compiling a patched version of madwifi (need the patch due to the particular chipset) is definitely an option. There are instructions somewhere on this forums and also out in the wild on many internet sites how to do this. Its not too hard, but if you have never compiled anything before, this method is slightly intimidating.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

what does

Code:
    iwconfig wlan0
    tell you about your connect speed? ie the "Bit Rate="

does the connection improve with:

Code:
    sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I don't know for certain if that chipset is supported by the procedure, but a lot of people eschew the "ath5k" driver in favour of compiling the latest version of "madwifi".
    Oh, this post was really helpful. I'm not too savvy on all this stuff! I believe that's the problem. In 8.10 I used madwifi. In Jaunty I just let the OS pick up the wireless connection after plugging in the wep key and just assumed it did automatically what I had done manually before.

Hope that makes sense!

I'm gonna give the madwifi thing a go. I feel pretty confident that should help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12