Thread: Partitioning a 1 TB hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Partitioning a 1 TB hard drive

Would it be a good idea to partitioning a brand new 1 TB hard drive into two main parts.
    I'm planning on installing Jaunty on a 1 TB hard drive, that I'm about to order. Would there be performance issues running a desktop system on such a big drive with the standard partitioning done during the installation?
    The biggest I've run Ubuntu on is a 400 GB HD, that in it's current state is making clicking noises (Seagate, it doesn't support APM). There were a few broken sectors and was corruption in the files after two years of use, but seatools and fsck solved that. It works now, but I won't use it, until I'm moving the files onto the new HD.
    Regarding Seagate, as far as I've read the ones from last fall, 7200.11, had some firmware issues, but what about new ones, 7200.12?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Partitioning a 1 TB hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by conphara View Post
    Would there be performance issues running a desktop system on such a big drive with the standard partitioning done during the installation?
    Nope.

Beans

Re: Partitioning a 1 TB hard drive

No performance loss at all.. as far as I know.
    Don't know about Seagate, personally use WD disks.

I wouldn't use such a large disk just for the os (not sure if this is your plan), I'd certainly partition with reasonable sizes and use the bulk of this disk for data storage. And obviously have some external disk for backup of data and/or os, this since every disk will die sooner or later and you don't want to lose everything in that event.

Actually, I'd probably buy a reasonable sized disk for just the os, 60 or 80 Gb or so.. and use the 1 Tb for storage/backup.
    My os's are installed on a disk of 60 Gb (much more then needed), and I have 2 external devices for storage totaling 3 Tb.
    One NAS of 2 Tb and one basic external disk of 1 Tb.
    Last edited by kellemes; April 20th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.