Thread: Totem seek/fastforward DVDs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Totem seek/fastforward DVDs

Hello, I managed to get DVDs to play properly in Totem using these steps:

http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-play-d...r-ubuntu-linux

but I can't fast-forward/seek. The only function that works properly right now is play/pause and the interactive DVD menu.
    (Also, the picture has these weird/subtle static lines that look like they're scratched sort of into the image, but I can live with that if that hasn't been solved.)

Sorry, I tried finding this (figured it must've been asked already) but only found a lot of questions about some mplayer? browser plugin.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Totem seek/fastforward DVDs

It isn't very intuitive, but try pressing the middle button/scroll wheel to fast forward/rewind.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried the scroll wheel this morning - didn't work. Thanks, any other suggestions?

Is no one else having this problem? Maybe a clean install of Totem will do the trick? or is that not usually how things'll work in Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have the same problem with series 5 of The Wire on DVD. Did you ever get a fix for this issue? I'm using 8.10 and GNOME.

I normally use VLC, but each time I click to play an episode from the menu it just reloads the same page. I often wonder why I bother buying DVDs when they are like this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by UltraAnders View Post
    I have the same problem with series 5 of The Wire on DVD. Did you ever get a fix for this issue? I'm using 8.10 and GNOME.

I normally use VLC, but each time I click to play an episode from the menu it just reloads the same page. I often wonder why I bother buying DVDs when they are like this.
    oh sorry - i forgot to post (like a day after I made that post) - I use VLC now, I have no problems (let alone do I have menu-selection issues, sorry - can't help with that).

Beans
    Distro

Ah well, thanks for taking the time to reply. I gave Linux Mint a try (just via boot CD) and no issues skipping forward or backward there.

Beans
    Distro

Woo hoo, upgrading to VLC 0.99a fixed the VLC issue. I used the instructions here.