Page 87 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

I can see improvement in FPS, but how do I fix Google earth, or any thing using video acceleration from displaying on top of everything, I mean I am not able to place a window on top of the displayed video, or earth. It is very annoying. I am using Thinkpad X61 with optimum. xorg.conf follows:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
    Option "EXAOptimizeMigration" "true"
    Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
    Option "Tiling" "true"
    EndSection

My system configuration:
    Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04
    Compiz enabled, Metacity engine in use.

Thinkpad X61 with Intel 3100.

Thanks
    Loke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanmotes View Post
    However, I decided to try the "safe" configuration on my brother's HP Mini 110 Mi netbook (running Ubuntu UNR 9.04) with Intel GMA 950 graphics and it made performance much WORSE.

So, my question is, has anyone successfully fixed their graphics problems on Jaunty with GMA 950 hardware?
    I have the same problem on a netbook with a 945GM chip. enabling uxa makes it unbearably worse. I was hoping that with today's new kernel and xorg updates that it would be fixed, but it seems it still is broken. I have tried many things including a patched 28-11 kernel, but it just refuses to work correctly with this chipset. It seems netbook users are doomed...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looks like 'real' fixes are in:
    *Bug 359392 is fixed with patches to compiz (1:0.8.2-0ubuntu8.1) and xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.6.3-0ubuntu9.3) in jaunty-proposed.

MTRR bug is in progress - please see bug 314928 and help test the proposed fix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.lifeguard View Post
    Looks like 'real' fixes are in:
    *Bug 359392 is fixed with patches to compiz (1:0.8.2-0ubuntu8.1) and xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.6.3-0ubuntu9.3) in jaunty-proposed.

MTRR bug is in progress - please see bug 314928 and help test the proposed fix.
    Since I have the 'unofficial' fixes and xorg drivers installed, I'm wondering, being a newbie, what will happen when official fixes (or also Karmic, in 4-5 months) will come out. Will I need to manually uninstall them?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntu Terrier View Post
    Since I have the 'unofficial' fixes and xorg drivers installed, I'm wondering, being a newbie, what will happen when official fixes (or also Karmic, in 4-5 months) will come out. Will I need to manually uninstall them?
    Refer to the "To Revert Settigns" section at the end of the how-to, it explains how to revert back to the "current" packages that are in the standard repos
    Last edited by coffeecat; May 28th, 2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Revised username in quote

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by chronniff View Post
    Refer to the "To Revert Settigns" section at the end of the how-to, it explains how to revert back to the "current" packages that are in the standard repos
    I created a Clonezilla image of my Jaunty setup just before I performed the Safe configuration fix here, so I may just restore that image then apply any official fixes.

Re netbook intel problems, I have an Eee 701 with Eeebuntu Base 3.0 and haven't applied the new netbook kernel update yet but apparently it fixes the intel graphics issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've just restored a Clonezilla image of Jaunty prior to my Safe Configuration changes for my Intel 945GZM system and then performed all of the latest updates. Can confirm that full screen video is still awful via sites like iView. I will image this current setup and restore it to use if more helpful fixes come in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I recently tried the safe sections on my laptop with Intel X3100 graphics (running Jaunty), and it worked VERY well - even better than with Intrepid.

However, I decided to try the "safe" configuration on my brother's HP Mini 110 Mi netbook (running Ubuntu UNR 9.04) with Intel GMA 950 graphics and it made performance much WORSE.

So, my question is, has anyone successfully fixed their graphics problems on Jaunty with GMA 950 hardware?

I think I saw somewhere that the bleeding edge configuration solves the problem but I'm afraid that will introduce other issues.

Thanks!
    I got it to work with Bleeding Edge. However, when I close my laptop lid, my computer freezes with a black screen. (might be a KDE 4.3 beta 2 bug) But the seamless video makes it worthwhile for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMcQwark View Post
    I got it to work with Bleeding Edge. However, when I close my laptop lid, my computer freezes with a black screen. (might be a KDE 4.3 beta 2 bug) But the seamless video makes it worthwhile for me.
    Are you using the Intel 950 graphics card? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Are you using the Intel 950 graphics card? Thanks!
    Yeah, thats what I meant.

Page 87 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast