Page 53 of 134 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Intel 965 here: does anyone experience slighlty better performance in 2.6.30 rc2 than in the following rc's? In my case 2d performances are REALLY decreasing...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by povvy View Post
    Intel 965 here: does anyone experience slighlty better performance in 2.6.30 rc2 than in the following rc's? In my case 2d performances are REALLY decreasing...
    Different chipset, but...

The 2.6.29.3 and 2.6.30-rc2 kernels give the best performance for me (not much different between the two). Kernel 2.6.30-rc3 and beyond all exhibit performance regressions for my 855GM chipset. The latest xorg-edgers drivers also slowed things down slightly.

Beans
    Distro

Bleeding-Edge users,

I've updated the guide to fetch the -rc6 kernel, if you're interested.

Beans
    Hidden!

rc6 gives me the same performance regression as rc3-4-5 does anyone know why?

Beans
    Distro

rc6 gives me the same performance regression as rc3-4-5 does anyone know why?
    Quite simply, there are still many issues with the latest drivers/DRM code. It may take some more time for things to stabilize with the bleeding-edge code, so try the stable drivers/kernel. The 2.6.29.3 kernel is just as fast as 2.6.30-rc2 for me.
    Last edited by psyke83; May 20th, 2009 at 08:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

rc6 fixes the problems I was having with bluetooth (kernel panics) so it is great for my aspire one. I rebuilt it with a small variation from kuki linux's kernel configuration, and now my A1 boots in less than 20 seconds, suspends with /home on a sd card without problems, and has finally half-decent video performance. And with last night's xorg-edgers drivers, UXA performance in glblur is up to 24fps, nearly on par to the max I had in intrepid with EXA (30fps). Google Earth is almost usable under kde4 with compositing on, the screen corruption is gone, it is just very slow updating the globe.

Beans
    Hidden!

@psyke83

unfortunately it is not that simple: i'm having good performance with rc2 and safe intel drivers (not xedgers ones); any other kernel i've tried gives me the same, poor, performance (even 2.6.29); it seems for me that the improvements cited in phoronix about 2.6.30 are gone with rc's later than rc2

Beans
    Distro

@psyke83

unfortunately it is not that simple: i'm having good performance with rc2 and safe intel drivers (not xedgers ones); any other kernel i've tried gives me the same, poor, performance (even 2.6.29); it seems for me that the improvements cited in phoronix about 2.6.30 are gone with rc's later than rc2
    Have you tried to disable tiling? Although tiling is supposed to give a considerable performance boost, it's currently buggy on my chipset and actually halves 3D performance (e.g. ppracer gives 15fps when tiling is enabled, vs 30fps with tiling disabled).

Conversely, if you already have tiling disabled, enabling it may provide a performance boost for your particular chipset.

Beans
    Hidden!

it's the same, with or without tiling enabled by the way, i own a GM965/GL960

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

it's the same, with or without tiling enabled by the way, i own a GM965/GL960
    Povvy, looked at your other posts and couldn't figure out whether you are on UXA or EXA. Performance regressions are now quite different between the two, and caused by different things.

Page 53 of 134 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast