Page 41 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    I suggest you follow the instructions to revert changes in this guide. Additionally, go to Synaptic, click Status -> Installed (Local or Obsolete), and ensure that you don't have any xorg/mesa/drm packages listed in this section. If you do have driver packages listed in this category, do the following for each: select a package, go to the Package menu, choose "Force Version...", and pick the default Jaunty version of the package. Providing that there's no conflicts, apply changes, and then log out and back in.
    Hmm. It's just that, GNOME (and KDE) isn't usable because I just see a white screen background. Any suggestion, sir?
    MacBook Air 3,1 128gb | Fujitsu Esprimo U9200 | Google Nexus One

Pinoy ka ba? | Google Profile | Twitter: @AllanCaeg| Identi.ca: allancaeg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wersdaluv View Post
    Hmm. It's just that, GNOME (and KDE) isn't usable because I just see a white screen background. Any suggestion, sir?
    You can revert changes via the failsafe terminal.

Note that a white screen possibly indicates a problem with compiz, so using the failsafe graphics (vesa driver) will allow you to bypass that.

Beans

I've followed this guide and upgraded to the rc kernels as they have been released. I just updated to 2.6.30-rc5, as in the latest version of this guide, and noticed that the nice looking jaunty boot splash screen has returned.

Beans

i have the Intel 855GM and have just now gone from the old 2.4 drivers to following the "Safe" solution (i removed the 2.4 drivers and reinstalled xserver-xorg-video-intel, which is now version 2.7.0-1ubuntu2~xup~1). my initial impression is there hasn't been much, if any, improvement. i'm only testing scrolling, and it's really laggy.. lol. i haven't tested with penguin racer before, but when i started it my whole screen turns white and i have to hit ESC to end the application and return to my desktop.....

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    You can revert changes via the failsafe terminal.

Note that a white screen possibly indicates a problem with compiz, so using the failsafe graphics (vesa driver) will allow you to bypass that.
    You're a genius! I logged in GNOME and disabled compiz with the trusty GNOME Do. I'm reverting changes now.

Btw, your new post instructs the deletion of kernels that aren't installed in my system. Are the kernels here different from your older post?

Beans
    Distro

After reverting changes, I did your "Optimal" fix. Now, my touch pad acts oddly. If I move my finger quickly, the mouse pointer's movement becomes smaller than if I move it slowly.

I mean, if a move my finger from a point to another on the touchpad slowly, the movement of the mouse cursor is of greater distance than if I move my finger quickly.

Any idea why and how to fix this?

Beans

What's the point of making 5 alpha releases + Beta + RC if this is what we get for stable? Can someone honestly explain, please?

Beans
    Distro

I just installed Jaunty on my friends desktop and was appalled by the terrible full screen flash and overall video performance. I updated to the latest kernel RC, latest drivers and enabled the options in X's config file.

The performance increase is good, but everything still isn't perfect. I can watch full screen 720p quicktime movie files now (barely could do it before), but still can't stream high quality from you tube in full screen. I'm thinking this is more flash related than anything at this point, as other video performance is pretty good considering the ancientness of this desktop (P4 2.66 w/Intel 865G).

Beans
    Distro

Due to the touch pad problem, I reformatted. I thought, the problem is caused by something else, but apparently, its caused by the new instructions. I just did the safe configuration then the touch pad problem came out. I reverted the changes but the touch pad issue is still here.

I hope to find a fix soon. This is very bugging

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cankoy View Post
    What's the point of making 5 alpha releases + Beta + RC if this is what we get for stable? Can someone honestly explain, please?
    Your question begins with a fallacy. Jaunty was shipped with a configuration that was deemed stable, at the cost of performance (we shipped with EXA acceleration as the default rather than UXA).

What exactly is your problem? Ubuntu, like any other distribution, is at the mercy of release schedules for upstream projects. There was no Intel driver with stable UXA (and therefore DRI2) acceleration shipping in time for Jaunty's release, so the Ubuntu developers wisely opted to revert to the more stable EXA acceleration.

Stability does not equal performance.

Page 41 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast