Page 85 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Mike, you seem to be on track. I have all the latest from Xorg-edgers - including 2.6.30-9 - and disabling wobbly windows has given me no crashes for an hour. Firefox didn't even slow down with the infamous Singapore picture. Not sure whether this is Intel or Compiz. Due to the nature of the bug as explained on Launchpad, it appears that wobbly windows does... um, something to cause the past-the-end-of-the-aperture freeze bug... but Intel has the bug fixed, according to them. Hmm.
    I'll be waiting...
    Sincerely,
    Zachary Waldowski
    Dizzy Technology

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

What's the infamous Singapore picture?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's this huge panorama of a port in Singapore hosted on Wikimedia that, among other triggers, has proved to be a trigger of the bug on most systems. I use it constantly for checking.
    Sincerely,
    Zachary Waldowski
    Dizzy Technology

Beans

I have been using the compiz Loose Binding option to get a significant boost in the compiz effects smoothness while using uxa, anyone have any idea what it does, the only research I have found is that you shouldn't use it on intel cards, but it seems to be helping with my 965 card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You are lucky you all that get compiz to work I still have no luck, I can start it but all I get is wallpaper and a working mouse pointer with my blacklisted Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03) if anyone knows about or find a fix please give a holler.
    On the other hand everything else seems fine, I get 35-40 fps in ppracer and 400-420 fps in glxgears which I suppose is quite good with that chipset on an old P4.
    Last edited by bearozo; June 19th, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
    ECS Nforce 939, AMD Athlon 4400+ X2, Geforce 7300LE, Nokia 447Xav, ATA ST3500630AS, ATA ST3160023AS, Optiarc AD-7170S, 2GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyTech View Post
    It's this huge panorama of a port in Singapore hosted on Wikimedia that, among other triggers, has proved to be a trigger of the bug on most systems. I use it constantly for checking.
    Please give a link to said picture if this is not the one:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Singapore_Panorama_v2.jpg
    Which btw. also works fine
    I use the bleeding edge, updated intel drivers and mesa.
    Last edited by bearozo; June 19th, 2009 at 02:33 PM.
    ECS Nforce 939, AMD Athlon 4400+ X2, Geforce 7300LE, Nokia 447Xav, ATA ST3500630AS, ATA ST3160023AS, Optiarc AD-7170S, 2GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mike, you seem to be on track. I have all the latest from Xorg-edgers - including 2.6.30-9 - and disabling wobbly windows has given me no crashes for an hour. Firefox didn't even slow down with the infamous Singapore picture. Not sure whether this is Intel or Compiz. Due to the nature of the bug as explained on Launchpad, it appears that wobbly windows does... um, something to cause the past-the-end-of-the-aperture freeze bug... but Intel has the bug fixed, according to them. Hmm.
    I'll be waiting...
    I get random crashes with compiz without wobbly windows enabled - for example, my system recently froze while running the gtkperf text scrolling benchmark. While wobbly windows may easily trigger this bug, it is still only a trigger for the real bug in the Intel driver (as you seem to have guessed already), and it doesn't appear to be the only trigger.

The crashes with UXA and large images happened on my system even when compiz was disabled, so I also don't think that compiz was more than a possible trigger. That bug seems to have been fixed on my system since a few weeks, though.
    Last edited by psyke83; June 19th, 2009 at 03:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chronniff View Post
    I have been using the compiz Loose Binding option to get a significant boost in the compiz effects smoothness while using uxa, anyone have any idea what it does, the only research I have found is that you shouldn't use it on intel cards, but it seems to be helping with my 965 card
    That doesn't affect performance on my system, how did you run compiz with loose binding?

I tried:
    Code:
    $ compiz.real --replace --loose-binding
    Maybe compiz works differently nowadays, I haven't checked extensively.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'll be waiting...
    Yeah, but fixed where? I haven't been able to find a packaged update with the fix. I'll be checking the commits to the upstream repository eventually (ie once I find it).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bearozo View Post
    You are lucky you all that get compiz to work I still have no luck, I can start it but all I get is wallpaper and a working mouse pointer with my blacklisted Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03) if anyone knows about or find a fix please give a holler.
    On the other hand everything else seems fine, I get 35-40 fps in ppracer and 400-420 fps in glxgears which I suppose is quite good with that chipset on an old P4.
    I don't think any fix is possible because your card is blacklisted (and they blacklist cards with good reason, apparently). You can try disabling the blacklisting code, but that's likely to result in badness of one variety or another.

Page 85 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast