Page 60 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

... I mad a little C programme ...
    For me It's unnecessarily complex solution.

Just launch System Settings -> Advanced tab -> Autostart -> Add Script -> choose fixmtrr.sh and Run On - Startup

And thats all -- after reboot for assurance I've manually did:
    Code:
    $ fixmtrr.sh
    Extracing base address and memory size from lspci -v
    d0000000

Supplying corrected MTRR ranges to /proc/mtrr
    doing nothing, MTRR range already set up
    reg00: base=0x000000000 (    0MB), size= 1024MB, count=1: write-back
    reg01: base=0x03f800000 ( 1016MB), size=    8MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg02: base=0x0d0000000 ( 3328MB), size=  256MB, count=1: write-combining

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thankyou so much. I did the Optimal install and got the graphics working better!

glxgears went from about 250 fps to about 1200 fps.

Games and screensavers were a notible improvement (except for the Helios screen saver, that one is still jerky).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJey View Post
    For me It's unnecessarily complex solution.

Just launch System Settings -> Advanced tab -> Autostart -> Add Script -> choose fixmtrr.sh and Run On - Startup

And thats all -- after reboot for assurance I've manually did:
    Code:
    $ fixmtrr.sh
    Extracing base address and memory size from lspci -v
    d0000000

Supplying corrected MTRR ranges to /proc/mtrr
    doing nothing, MTRR range already set up
    reg00: base=0x000000000 (    0MB), size= 1024MB, count=1: write-back
    reg01: base=0x03f800000 ( 1016MB), size=    8MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg02: base=0x0d0000000 ( 3328MB), size=  256MB, count=1: write-combining
    No, that won't work. The fixmtrr.sh script needs to be executed with root privileges, and GNOME Startup entries are executed with user privileges.

The script isn't working on your system, but you perhaps mistakenly think it is. The 2.6.29.* and 2.6.30-rc* kernels set the write-combining range correctly, but only the first time the X server is started. If you restart your X session, the write-combining range will disappear. Try it if you don't believe me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The script isn't working on your system, but you perhaps mistakenly think it is. The 2.6.29.* and 2.6.30-rc* kernels set the write-combining range correctly, but only the first time the X server is started. If you restart your X session, the write-combining range will disappear. Try it if you don't believe me.
    Did not know this will check it.

Beans

You can also edit /etc/kde4/kdm/Xstartup and add a call to fixmtrr.sh straight at the beginning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So now also with replay from me

I made the Optimal Configuration with Kernel update and everything works fine on my Toshiba A9 with GM965 / X3100 Graphiccard.
    The compiz eye candys i activate with this nice blog: http://forlong.blogage.de/entries/pages/Compiz-Check

so on, thanks to everybody

Greetings

Beans

Hello,

I followed the instructions to Optimal config, but I got a set back.
    I'm using Linux Mint 7, a distro that is heavily based in Ubuntu and inherits it's design and code benefits and flaws.
    Along with the ride came the problem with the slow performance in Intel Graphics. I found this post with the instructions I followed through the letter.

The graphic performance is quite all right, however, I've been recently facing problems with font characters and icons in certain apps.

Describing the problem is somewhat funny, I guess it's the X, that is printing the wrong fonts in the screen and them messes up everything. For example, the letter "X" itself right now is deformed, like the part of a bigger X.

Has anyone faced a similar bug? should I revert the config and try again? or is there a fix? like, downgrading my fonts?

Cheers!
    Felipe Sentelhas

Beans

Intel 945 chipset, dual monitors, Wubi windows file install under Vista

Thanks for the how-to! I installed Ubuntu with wubi as a large file on a Vista 32-bit system, and I was getting horrible graphics performance. I thought the problem was with using the Windows file, instead of a dedicated partition, and thought I would have to go in and re-install with a partition setup. However, I found this how-to first, and with a little tweaking I got it running just right.

I've got two monitors running off of my Acer laptop, with Intel 945GM/GMS integrated graphics. I found the UXA did not work with the Intel chipset and the large screen sizes I wanted to use on the two monitors, so I commented out UXA, EXAOptimizeMigration, MigrationHeuristic and tiling. The only way to work with UXA and the Intel chipset seemed to be to settle for much smaller screen sizes. It is possible that there is a simple fix to get UXA and Intel working together on larger screen dual monitors, but I could not find it in my limited research. I would have tried configuring Xinema settings in xorg.conf, but this how-to got me working.

I installed the new kernel under the Optimal method from this how-to, and employed the fixmtrr script. I also increased the Virtual display size to 3000 960 in xorg.conf in order to accomodate my two large screens. Gnome seemed to try to fight me the first time I logged in, but after a reboot it started working perfectly.

The only trouble I've seen is that the system has locked up twice. Each time it locked up I was exiting a program, and trying to quickly start a gnome setting app. I don't know if the lock-ups are related to the graphics card, but I figure it is likely. However, the simple fix for now is to allow a few seconds for programs to exit before trying to start a gnome configuration gui.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Venter127 View Post
    This seems to be solution I was looking for, since my 3d graphics run at about half the speed theyre supposed to. Id love to be able to update my graphics card, but Im new to ubuntu, and getting errors on Step one. I open the xorg conf. file and nothing is there in the terminal. It also opens up the file in a seperate window, but it is also blank. Do I not have any xorg files, and if so, where and how do I get them? Due to my ametur status with linux, half of the explanations on how to get the drivers installed I cant understand for the life of me. I apologise for any inconvience, but I need a bit of a down-to-earth explanation of how to get it to work.
    hi. your xorg.conf should be there. make sure you are copying the command exactly as it is written in the guide. don't copy the dollar signs, as those just indicate the prompt. my guess is you typed x11 instead of X11, and case matters in linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Nice guide, I just wish it would work for me.

I have a eee 900HA using NBR, with an Intel 945GME

I've followed the safe method and after rebooting performance was faaaaarr worse then when using the exa acceleration. I checked the fixmtrr.sh and it said that it was already applied.

I started reading through the massive amounts of threads here, and found a post that said I needed to upgrade to kernel 2.6.28-11.43 because of the bug mentioned here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/349314
    I applied the kernel mentioned at the bottom, and rebooted.

I made sure the new kernel was running, and I checked the xorg log for errors but there were none. According to the log, uxa loaded and was running with no errors, but the performance is so bad I can barely navigate the menu on NBR. Switching back to exa puts the performance back to the way it was. I have also tried it with tiling enabled and disabled, but it makes no difference. According to the log, Tiling is enabled without problems.

I seem to be out of ideas, does anyone have suggestions?

Page 60 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast