return 0;
    }
    saved it under : fixmtrr.c
    compile it:

$ Developpement$ gcc -o fixmtrr fixmtrr.c

then change owner to root
    give it the bit sticky
    give everyone the right to execute

so this little programme can make "sudo fixmtrr.sh" without the sudo.
    then you can execute it automatically when KDE starts (in the control pannel)

I don't know if anyone had find a solution for Kde I did not find the strenght to read 51 pages of messages...

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Just a heads-up.

After applying these changes on my Advent 6001 915GM laptop, performance was considerably worse.

Then I noticed my user created during install had not been added to group 'video'.

use "$ grep video /etc/group" to check you are in group video.

use "$ sudo adduser <username> video" to add you if necessary.
    "Distros remove perfectly functioning programs and replace them with broken and insufficient replacements coupled with promises that the replacement will one day be just functional and stable as the prior working program"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My user wasn't either in the video group. Which effect should this have had?
    || My blog ||

Beans

I tried the "safe/optimal" way by updating x and drivers and enabling uxa under kernel 2.6.28.11. I wanted to get rid of the tearing in videos on my Toshiba NB100 netbook but the result was worse than before. UNR was unusable sluggisch. After changing back to exa the netbook is usable again.

Anyone an idea whats happening there? Upgrading the kernel seems not possible as theres no lpia kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I updated an older system to Jaunty from 8.10. The graphics are not working. No application has a title bar, minimize, maxize, or close button; Totem will play a movie, just not display the video--only a black screen; terminal is a simple white square that cannot be typed in. Any advice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ferossan View Post
    Anyone using the new 2.6.29.4 Kernel for "Optimal"? Does it worth?
    I just upgraded. Had to recompile ALSA (running a patch) but other than that no harm no foul.

Prior to that, I experienced the font corruption yet again after my crummy battery discharged and sent my machine to hibernation. When I woke it up, Firefox and Thunderbird both had garbled text. Restarting X as others reported resolved the issue.

I doubt that the kernel upgrade will do anything for the font corruption as I'm pretty sure this is more of an issue with X and the driver.

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

hey. Using the Simple option got my flash video working better.

My computer has slowed down a little, and my touchpad is little more jerky (moreso when using small distances - but fine for major movements).

I wanted to see if I need to tweak MTRR

sarfarosh@sarfarosh:~$ cat /proc/mtrr
    reg00: base=0x000000000 ( 0MB), size= 512MB, count=1: write-back
    reg01: base=0x01f700000 ( 503MB), size= 1MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg02: base=0x01f800000 ( 504MB), size= 8MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg03: base=0x0c0000000 ( 3072MB), size= 256MB, count=1: write-combining
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:ff00]
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
    Region 0: Memory at d0200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Region 1: I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
    Region 2: Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Region 3: Memory at d0300000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel modules: intelfb

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a6] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:ff00]
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0
    Region 0: Memory at d0280000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Whats my base memory address, and whats the memory size for fixmtrr.sh?

Help would be appreciated

Beans

A big THANK YOU from México

My Toshiba Satellite is much more responsive and faster on visuals now, and talk about easy to follow! really an awesome work on your procedure

-Fer-

Beans

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Works for me only with the Bleeding Edge instructions - that is, requires kernel rc7, latest X.org drivers, and fixmtrr.sh script. But performance is, subjectively speaking, back up to Intrepid's standards. Thank you!

Beans

This seems to be solution I was looking for, since my 3d graphics run at about half the speed theyre supposed to. Id love to be able to update my graphics card, but Im new to ubuntu, and getting errors on Step one. I open the xorg conf. file and nothing is there in the terminal. It also opens up the file in a seperate window, but it is also blank. Do I not have any xorg files, and if so, where and how do I get them? Due to my ametur status with linux, half of the explanations on how to get the drivers installed I cant understand for the life of me. I apologise for any inconvience, but I need a bit of a down-to-earth explanation of how to get it to work.

Page 59 of 134 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast