Page 42 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pkmgarf View Post
    I just installed Jaunty on my friends desktop and was appalled by the terrible full screen flash and overall video performance. I updated to the latest kernel RC, latest drivers and enabled the options in X's config file.

The performance increase is good, but everything still isn't perfect. I can watch full screen 720p quicktime movie files now (barely could do it before), but still can't stream high quality from you tube in full screen. I'm thinking this is more flash related than anything at this point, as other video performance is pretty good considering the ancientness of this desktop (P4 2.66 w/Intel 865G).
    I have an Intel 855GM chipset, so our configuration is similar. I experience the best results with the Optimal configuration. At present, the Bleeding-Edge combination results in reduced 3D performance (though that can change at any time, since the drivers are updated from the xorg-edgers repository every few days).

By the way, the latest kernel isn't necessarily the fastest/best. There was a regression in 3D performance from 2.6.30rc2 to rc3 (and later) for my chipset. Just stick with the Optimal config.

You'll need to revert the drivers according to the instructions (as the xorg-edgers PPA contains versions are higher than the ones in the X-Updates PPA).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wersdaluv View Post
    Due to the touch pad problem, I reformatted. I thought, the problem is caused by something else, but apparently, its caused by the new instructions. I just did the safe configuration then the touch pad problem came out. I reverted the changes but the touch pad issue is still here.

I hope to find a fix soon. This is very bugging
    If you are using the official Jaunty kernel, these instructions should have absolutely no impact on the touchpad. Is your touchpad usually recognised by default, or do you have to adjust your xorg.conf?

Beans
    Distro

^^^While I agree with the performance doesn't equal stability statement, in this case stability didn't even equal stability for me. With the default configuration (just after install), X would crash randomly and the config file had to be reconfigured numerous times before it was any sort of "stable."

Just my $.02 with the rig I have been working on.

Beans

Due to the touch pad problem, I reformatted. I thought, the problem is caused by something else, but apparently, its caused by the new instructions. I just did the safe configuration then the touch pad problem came out. I reverted the changes but the touch pad issue is still here.

I hope to find a fix soon. This is very bugging
    i remember seeing a xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (pointing device) package being updated last night while following the instructions, after running 'apt-get install dist-upgrade' i believe. however, i can't seem to find any record of that now......

however, 0.99.3-2ubuntu4 is the version available in the repositories, and 0.99.3-2ubuntu5 is the version available in the new X Updates PPA we added in step 1 of the instructions.

not sure if this is the correct way, but you can go back to the previous version by opening synaptic package manager, searching for 'synaptics', finding the installed package, clicking package > force version (or typing ^E), and change the version back to 0.99.3-2ubuntu4

Beans

Some notes as I attempt to fix the performance on my Dell Inspiron E1505 with the following Intel Graphics:
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03)
    • Simply editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf as suggested in the HOWTO brings things back to life... however, stability becomes an issue (X locks up randomly requiring a hard reboot).
    • The "Optimal" setup returns my system to the same poor performance I experienced with Jaunty's default configuration (sluggish/jerky compiz effects & PlanetPenguinRacer around 6 to 9 fps, jerky full-screen flash videos via YouTube). SECURITY ISSUE -- gksudo provides permission elevation without requiring a password when using the 2.6.29 kernel as instructed. Returning to the default kernel restores expected behavior.
    • "Safe" Instructions -- Much better performance of desktop effect (compiz), PlanetPenguinRacer (around 18 to 24 fps) and smooth performance of full-screen flash (including HQ videos) -- Alas, the same lock-up problem.
    • "Bleeding Edge" option as a last resort -- WOW! PlanetPenguinRacer now showing about 25 - 53 fps. It gave me the courage to try Googleearth 5 -- running VERY smoothly under compiz. However, fullscreen flash on YouTube back to being dodgy (I can live with that for now) Video appears stable. 4 hours without locking up and without a reboot. -- Just noticed on boot-up "Loading securityfs [FAILED] (will double check on next boot) -- any idea what this is about and how to fix?

I'll edit the above list as I continue testing.

psyke83: If there is any addition information you need as I progress that would help you as you develop your HOWTO, please ask and I will do my best to provide it.
    Last edited by HotShotDJ; May 13th, 2009 at 04:09 AM.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cankoy View Post
    What's the point of making 5 alpha releases + Beta + RC if this is what we get for stable? Can someone honestly explain, please?
    Don't take this the wrong way, although I'm afraid that's a tough call, but --

What's the point of explaining it to you when it's been explained in previous posts here, elsewhere in these forums, on Phoronix, and in just about every blog that's covering Ubuntu, let alone podcasts? Can you honestly explain why you need someone to explain it to you again? Because all we'll do at this point is just refer you to everything that's already been written on it.

Please exert the minimal required effort to find the answer to a question before begging for everyone's attention.

My GM965 has been working brilliantly lately, better than on Intrepid. I think I'm done with this thread -- too many email updates in my box asking the same questions over and over and over again.

psyke83, thanks for the help. With the guide and a little experimentation, I've been able to get some fantastic graphics going.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

**UPDATE**

i recommend doing this intel graphics guide on a fresh install for the best stability. this solution works wonders for me, but i had problems with it freezing my system (as i stated in another post on this thread). i installed windows xp as a dual boot in order to use a firmware update tool for an rca pearl mp3 player that only works with windows. unfortunately windows trashed grub (dammit windows, you suck! you are now banned from my hard drive indefinitely!) and i was unable to restore it so i reinstalled my ubuntu jaunty setup windows messed up (i didnt lose any of my documents, etc though). i applied this solution to the new install, and it is working better than what i had before the reinstall. i try the same things that froze my system in the old install and i dont have those problems anymore after trying the safe method.

thanks psyke83!!!
    if any other issues come up, ill post.
    Last edited by thebestofall007; May 13th, 2009 at 01:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    If you are using the official Jaunty kernel, these instructions should have absolutely no impact on the touchpad. Is your touchpad usually recognised by default, or do you have to adjust your xorg.conf?
    I'm using the default kernel. The condition of the touch pad is the same from the new and default kernels
    MacBook Air 3,1 128gb | Fujitsu Esprimo U9200 | Google Nexus One

Pinoy ka ba? | Google Profile | Twitter: @AllanCaeg| Identi.ca: allancaeg

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scarf View Post
    i remember seeing a xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (pointing device) package being updated last night while following the instructions, after running 'apt-get install dist-upgrade' i believe. however, i can't seem to find any record of that now......

however, 0.99.3-2ubuntu4 is the version available in the repositories, and 0.99.3-2ubuntu5 is the version available in the new X Updates PPA we added in step 1 of the instructions.

not sure if this is the correct way, but you can go back to the previous version by opening synaptic package manager, searching for 'synaptics', finding the installed package, clicking package > force version (or typing ^E), and change the version back to 0.99.3-2ubuntu4
    I'll try it when I get home. Thanks.

I love this howto's fix because it doesn't just improve my video cards performance. It also fixes jaunty bugs on my machine like not shutting down properly and (maybe) not recovering my session from sleep.

If I manage to fix the touch pad issue with the "Optimal" configuration, I would finally have a properly configured Jaunty.
    MacBook Air 3,1 128gb | Fujitsu Esprimo U9200 | Google Nexus One

Pinoy ka ba? | Google Profile | Twitter: @AllanCaeg| Identi.ca: allancaeg

Beans
    Distro

I'm using the default kernel. The condition of the touch pad is the same from the new and default kernels
    Yes, it appears that scarf's advice applies to you. I didn't notice that the Synaptics driver was also in the X-Updates repository, and the update must have caused issues for your touchpad.

Remember you can also lock the older version in Synaptic (not Synaptics, heh) after downgrading the package.

Page 42 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast