Page 39 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Wow!! Compiz is so fast after applying this fix!!! Thanks!! I have an Intel GM965 and I have enabled Tiling with no problems with 3D. Just have a little problem... If I enable "Opacity, Brightness and Saturation" on CompizConfig my panel and menus look like the screenshot, but with that plugin disabled when I open any menu it look transparent (like screenshot) but for like half second or so and then it gets back to normal. I hope someone has a solution or explanation for this. Thanks in advance!

PS: Oh! I almost forgot, is there any way to execute the "fixmttr.sh" script at startup? I think that it will not work if I add it to "Startup Programs" on Preferences menu, right? I'm sure that I will forget to execute it sometimes....
    Linux User #431836
    Machine #370145

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

bummed. none of these solutions work for me - old laptop, pentium 3 with intel i810.
    just getting black and grey bars and lines with the intel driver. black screen with vesa.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shahin_gh View Post
    This fixed did improve graphics performance on my EEE PC 901. Most things run smooth now, unfortunately Firefox 3 scrolling performance on certain pages is atrocious compared to 8.10. For instance, the website www.prisjakt.se scrolls terribly slow compared to 8.10.

This doesn't seem to affect Opera. It would be interesting to know what causes this issue. I would guess that Firefox and Opera use different methods of redrawing the page and whatever method Firefox uses is poorly optimized in the 9.04 intel xorg driver.
    i must say that the performance here still blows with my 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV after installing the 2.4 drivers. i had initially thought that the performance was better, and it may have been compared to the stock jaunty configuration, but it still blows compared to what i remember in intrepid.

firefox scrolling is definitely atrocious. when i scroll up or down the page continues to scroll even though i have stopped scrolling. i haven't tried opera and won't

also keyboard repeating has a similar problem. i will hold down a key to repeat it, and it will continue to be repeated long after i have released the key.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by relgames View Post
    I do like new Gnome from 9.04

BTW, now I'm just realized that my /proc/mtrr already contains a line for the video memory, but with "uncachable" option.

reg00: base=0x000000000 ( 0MB), size=32768MB, count=1: write-back
    reg01: base=0x0e0000000 ( 3584MB), size= 512MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg02: base=0x0ddc00000 ( 3548MB), size= 4MB, count=1: uncachable
    reg03: base=0x0de000000 ( 3552MB), size= 32MB, count=1: uncachable

Maybe I need to somehow erase that line before running fixmtrr.sh??

Also, there are strange messages from logs:
    /var/log/syslog.0:May 7 01:33:07 rg-work kernel: [ 14.320969] mtrr: type mismatch for e0000000,10000000 old: write-back new: write-combining
    /var/log/syslog.0:May 7 01:33:07 rg-work kernel: [ 14.320971] [drm] MTRR allocation failed. Graphics performance may suffer.
    Guys, did I write something wrong? Do I need to provide some more information/logs/etc?

Why nobody can help me? Is there a some other forum where I can receive help?

Beans

If nobody has noted this in this looong thread, at least here and on mplayer, I found that it helps to play audio through anything but pulseaudio (e.g. "mplayer myfile.avi -ao oss).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    By the way, I normally get angry at compiz due to slow scrolling, but I actually find it bearable right now . Scrolling is smooth on my old laptop (with exception to certain sites in Firefox, such as Gmail - but is the fault of Firefox and not compiz or Xorg).
    Try do disable smooth scrolling in Firefox, that did the trick with me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Works for me... I went from about 200fps to 1000fps in glxgears. Planet Penguin Racer runs a lot smoother as well.
    Not all packages mentioned in the HOWTO are still available though, the DRM packages have new versions and need to be manually downloaded and installed seperately.

Beans

I found another one problem in this fix, low torrent speed on this kernel. On default kerenel a have full speed of my cannel (2Mb/s) and on the 2.6.30-020630rc4-generic and rc2 i have only 200kb/s. And so the question is how to get rivers from stock kernel to new kernel? And on rc5 speed better but not as on original kernel.
    2 SteveMcQwark
    Thankyou i found my problem it was atmosfere.
    Last edited by ZeroColds; May 11th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yako View Post
    Works for me... I went from about 200fps to 1000fps in glxgears. Planet Penguin Racer runs a lot smoother as well.
    Not all packages mentioned in the HOWTO are still available though, the DRM packages have new versions and need to be manually downloaded and installed seperately.
    Thanks for pointing out that some of the packages have changed. I tried this HOWTO over the weekend without good results. A lot of things were broken.

I tried it again today and watched the errors. Then I manually downloaded and installed the packages in the HOWTO that have been upgraded: at the time of this writing, you have to change all instances of libdrm2_2.4.9-1_i386.deb and libdrm-intel1_2.4.9-1_i386.deb to libdrm2_2.4.9-2_i386.deb and libdrm-intel1_2.4.9-2_i386.deb respectively.

Now everything is working great. In fact, I've never seen this laptop with integrated Intel 945 perform this well, ever. Compiz is faster than I've ever seen it and things like Blender and 3D games, which now work with Compiz running, are doing well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by paulmerchant View Post
    Thanks for pointing out that some of the packages have changed. I tried this HOWTO over the weekend without good results. A lot of things were broken.

I tried it again today and watched the errors. Then I manually downloaded and installed the packages in the HOWTO that have been upgraded: at the time of this writing, you have to change all instances of libdrm2_2.4.9-1_i386.deb and libdrm-intel1_2.4.9-1_i386.deb to libdrm2_2.4.9-2_i386.deb and libdrm-intel1_2.4.9-2_i386.deb respectively.

Now everything is working great. In fact, I've never seen this laptop with integrated Intel 945 perform this well, ever. Compiz is faster than I've ever seen it and things like Blender and 3D games, which now work with Compiz running, are doing well.
    My apologies for this, but it wasn't necessary to install packages from Debian's archive - it was based on the original version of this guide and I thought that I had removed the entries dealing with these archives.

Please take a look again, and you should see that the guide only requires you to download the mainline kernel debs, and the actual drivers are upgraded from the Xorg-edgers repository. If the Debian packages are conflicting, force a downgrade (using the downgrade instructions in the first post).

Page 39 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast