Page 24 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Linux Kernel v2.6.30-rc4 is out, hope they'll upload it to Ubuntu's kernel PPA, soon.

What are the differences between official kernels and kernel's from Ubuntu's PPA? What patches Ubuntu use, if any?

Hope this new version of kernel will increase Intel's video card performance.

Beans

I'm using Dell inspiron 700m with a 855GM
    but this workaround does not work for me
    i got 300fps after using this method instead of 500 fps before in glxgears
    and i actually felt the difference except for the data reported by glxgears

now i'm rolling back and look forward for another workaround which is suited to my graphic card

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by StorMFreak View Post
    The laptop has a Intel GMA 950, and I am noticing a lot of flickering on the screen. It's not unbearable, but it's definitely irritating. It also seems that it's just laggy in general, and I'm guessing the video issue has something to do with it. Will the original poster's tips help me, or should I be looking down a different route? Thanks!
    OP will help with lagginess, but will not help with flickering if it's the same as I've got...

I've got a flicker in the sense of the backlight changing itself in a bizarre way, and it's only ever happened under the last couple of Jaunty kernels before release. Doesn't happen with older or newer kernels, and I have seen a few people report strange ACPI goings on with that kernel too. It also only happens on battery, which would fit with this explanation. It's kind of like it's trying too hard to keep the backlight dim...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

2.6.30 RC4 kernel already appeared in Ubuntu's kernel PPA.
    I've did this guide with this new kernel and I noticed some performance increase.
    MTRR fix seems to do nothing for me, the "Before" and "After" values are exactly the same which is fine I guess.

Although I'm wondering how could we keep our system up-to-date? I mean, kernel is still in RC and also there might be a new version of libdrm coming out, etc... The best would be to check these websites for kernels, for newer version of libdrm, etc and install the latest of them?
    It's fine with the video driver cause it has a repository, but what about the others?

Beans

For anyone with an eeepc 1000h and want to try the 2.6.30 kernel with the rt2860 module build in , try my kernel posted here:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=66573

Beans

Hey thanks for these fixes.. but... is there a repository that would have all these fixes solved?

BTW??? Why did the Ubuntu people release a kernel that was so buggy for the MOST common integrated graphics chipset??? I don't think you guys did Ubuntu a favor until you fixed all this for the vast majority of business and laptop computers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cool Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

planetpenguin-racer fps

I'm not into games. I do ubuntu internet mail, news videos, office write & spreadsheet, YouTube videos, try to run latest ubuntu currently karmic, ...

I've got 4 pc's, a Thinkpad with i830 graphics, a ThinkCentre with i845 graphics. a Compaq with ATI, and a Thinkpad with ATI. Three out of the four have had video trouble (!) with intrepid, jaunty, now karmic.

How do I get fps out of planet penguin?
    I did sudo apt-get install planetpenguin-racer which it did.

What menu selections? How do you get fps?

Thanks, Jerry

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post

What menu selections? How do you get fps?

Thanks, Jerry

Configuration - Graphics - Display FPS

Then play a game

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ad5os View Post
    Hey thanks for these fixes.. but... is there a repository that would have all these fixes solved?

BTW??? Why did the Ubuntu people release a kernel that was so buggy for the MOST common integrated graphics chipset??? I don't think you guys did Ubuntu a favor until you fixed all this for the vast majority of business and laptop computers!
    Agreed...

There have been some great suggestions about changing the scheduling to allow more of April to allow the schedule to slip in the face of major issues.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by breaddawson View Post
    I'm using Dell inspiron 700m with a 855GM
    but this workaround does not work for me
    i got 300fps after using this method instead of 500 fps before in glxgears
    and i actually felt the difference except for the data reported by glxgears

now i'm rolling back and look forward for another workaround which is suited to my graphic card
    Glxgears is not a benchmark... and most of the time yields little useful information beyond glxgears runs.

Page 24 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast