Page 14 of 134 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

thank you very much!

This howto fixed my notebook (sony vaio vgn-cr410e) and also my day

I followed all of those step (also enabling tiling - didn't break 3d).

I will spread the word to all kubuntu 9.04 users with intel video cards.

Once again, many thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by marco1986 View Post
    thank you very much!

This howto fixed my notebook (sony vaio vgn-cr410e) and also my day

I followed all of those step (also enabling tiling - didn't break 3d).

I will spread the word to all kubuntu 9.04 users with intel video cards.

Once again, many thanks!
    hey congrats marco, i am glad i directed you here.

Beans

Worked well for me, thanks a lot! The ppracer fps is about ~80, while it used to be around 40.
    However, after switching to the 2.6.30 kernel and installing the startupmanager, I don't see any splashscreen on startup and most importantly, when everything is up and running, I cannot switch using CTRL+ALT+F1 ... F6. It just shows a blank black screen.

Can anybody suggest anything here, please?

Beans

Thanks psyke83. Following your guide here exactly *massively* improved my machine responsiveness, youtube, etc. I have "VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)".

One litte thing though - to run a second monitor off my laptop I have to manually set a "Virtual 2720 1024" in my Display subsection of my xorg.conf. After implementing your changes my X died on first restart telling me that the "Virtual specification was incompatible with DRI" so I commented out the virtual line and rebooted fine with great X performance. So I can't use a second screen at present unless you tell me what other trick I can do to fix this?

Also, there are posts earlier recommending to do these changes but use all ubuntu kernels etc from various ppa's. Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this? I'd really would rather stick to ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Thanks psyke83. Following your guide here exactly *massively* improved my machine responsiveness, youtube, etc. I have "VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)".

One litte thing though - to run a second monitor off my laptop I have to manually set a "Virtual 2720 1024" in my Display subsection of my xorg.conf. After implementing your changes my X died on first restart telling me that the "Virtual specification was incompatible with DRI" so I commented out the virtual line and rebooted fine with great X performance. So I can't use a second screen at present unless you tell me what other trick I can do to fix this?
    See the second entry of "Known Issues" here: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2009Q1.html

Also, there are posts earlier recommending to do these changes but use all ubuntu kernels etc from various ppa's. Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this? I'd really would rather stick to ubuntu.
    I'm not sure what you mean? If you mean to have a kernel installable from a PPA, it's not really necessary.

As far as I'm aware (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), the kernel packages I advise users to install were built by the Ubuntu kernel team - but of course they have an unsupported status.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by progre55 View Post
    Worked well for me, thanks a lot! The ppracer fps is about ~80, while it used to be around 40.
    However, after switching to the 2.6.30 kernel and installing the startupmanager, I don't see any splashscreen on startup and most importantly, when everything is up and running, I cannot switch using CTRL+ALT+F1 ... F6. It just shows a blank black screen.

Can anybody suggest anything here, please?
    Well, usplash doesn't work for me using the 2.6.30-rcX kernels, but I've no problem switching to different VTs... maybe the framebuffer didn't initialize properly on your system. You can try the -rc3 kernel (see here), or simply stay with the official Jaunty kernel.

Edit: hmm, perhaps if you experiment with the boot option "vga=791" or something similar. That may fix the framebuffer issue. I'll do some testing on my laptop when I next reboot.
    Edit 2: see "Known Issues [...] VT switch broken on some machines" here: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2009Q1.html
    Last edited by psyke83; April 27th, 2009 at 04:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by umaxtu View Post
    I tried following these instructions earlier and the end result was that it froze when ever i Logged on or it never let me logged on.
    It's probably because UXA is buggy for your chipset. Try reverting to EXA (comment the "AccelMethod" line, or change it from "uxa" to "exa").

It could also be a bug in the kernel - try booting with the official Jaunty kernel.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thankfully, the Intel G31/33 and above chipsets seems to have none of the issues which are being described above, things work quite well with the included xorg-intel in Jaunty. No compiz slowdowns but for Google Earth to work, effects have to be turned off. Otherwise no desktop response issues or 2d issues so far.

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!
    THIS FIXED MY COMPUTER!!!
    Ubuntu was working for me for the past few years until I upgraded to this version...
    After this post, Ubuntu is back to being great!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Arup View Post
    Thankfully, the Intel G31/33 and above chipsets seems to have none of the issues which are being described above, things work quite well with the included xorg-intel in Jaunty. No compiz slowdowns but for Google Earth to work, effects have to be turned off. Otherwise no desktop response issues or 2d issues so far.
    Glad to hear your system is working fine. Did you consider following the guide to see if it may improve performance beyond what you're experiencing now?

Page 14 of 134 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast