Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by kennyschiff View Post
    I'm a noob. I'm reluctant to upgrade the kernel and would like to use 2.6.28-11 first but with latest intel video drivers. I updated my PPA list, imported the PGP key, but can't seem to figure out how to install the driver. If someone could nudge me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
    The instructions will upgrade the driver. Honestly, I placed a warning in the guide for a reason.

This guide was intended mostly for people who know how to navigate the terminal, fix a broken X, etc. Installing a bleeding-edge kernel and unsupported drivers is not recommended for most users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    2.6.30-rc3 has a performance regression compared to 2.6.30-rc2, which is why I didn't update the instructions to install the newer kernel.
    I didn't know it when I compiled it, but no big deal, rc4 should be out soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes. The kernel is a bleeding-edge release candidate, and it's not supported at all. Don't bother filing any bugs on Launchpad with this kernel (and drivers from the PPA), don't expect usplash to work, don't be surprised if some restricted/wifi drivers don't work, etc.
    Is it because that the kernel is still RC? I mean will usplash and others work on stable kernels?
    Is there a significant difference on the Intel graphics cards' performance between using Jaunty's default kernel and the new 2.6.30 RC2 kernel?

Glxgears gives me better results (higher FPSs) when using EXA while most people say that UXA gives them a great performance increase. I wonder why. I know, glxgears is not a benchmark!

BTW I found a kernel PPA but it's not updated for Jaunty yet. Is there a kernel PPA for Jaunty?

Beans

Had there beeny any word on an official fix?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pappfer View Post
    Is it because that the kernel is still RC? I mean will usplash and others work on stable kernels?
    Is there a significant difference on the Intel graphics cards' performance between using Jaunty's default kernel and the new 2.6.30 RC2 kernel?

Glxgears gives me better results (higher FPSs) when using EXA while most people say that UXA gives them a great performance increase. I wonder why. I know, glxgears is not a benchmark!

BTW I found a kernel PPA but it's not updated for Jaunty yet. Is there a kernel PPA for Jaunty?
    See: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

I recall reading somewhere that the developers didn't want to make it "too easy" to upgrade a kernel from a PPA, so they placed them in regular directories.

Beans

See: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

I recall reading somewhere that the developers didn't want to make it "too easy" to upgrade a kernel from a PPA, so they placed them in regular directories.
    So now that we've run out of government conspiracy theories were onto Linux conspiracy theories?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

hi ;can i enable "UXA" in 2.6.28-11 kernel or do i need 2.6.30?
    it seems to work fine when enable in 2.6.28-11-generic (deafult kernel) also
    Last edited by montamer; April 26th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by montamer View Post
    hi ;can i enable "UXA" in 2.6.28-11 kernel or do i need 2.6.30?
    it seems to work fine when enable in 2.6.28-11-generic (deafult kernel) also
    Yes. I recommend you test the 2.6.30-rc2 kernel to see if there is a performance increase, though. Don't forget that you can choose the kernel in GRUB upon boot, and it's trivial to remove the 2.6.30-rc2 kernel packages later.

Beans

I tried following these instructions earlier and the end result was that it froze when ever i Logged on or it never let me logged on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks! I am back in business on Dell laptop. Wireless did not work booting into 2.6.30-rc2 kernel, but everything appears to work now booting into 2.6.28 kernel.

Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast