Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

Beans

Re: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

I tried Harrykar suggestions and found mic volume adjust etc.
    output from arecord -l is
    **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
    card 1: SP2208WFP [Monitor Webcam (SP2208WFP)], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
    so apparently my system sees the microphone but it just doesn't work!!!!
    I have used it in XP today so def not hardware problem.
    any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Thorndog View Post
    I tried Harrykar suggestions and found mic volume adjust etc.
    output from arecord -l is
    so apparently my system sees the microphone but it just doesn't work!!!!
    I have used it in XP today so def not hardware problem.
    any ideas?
    Hi Thorndog. Above all i suggest you don't fear to play around. Here's the rule. So confirm that you have just enabled all fields below in volume control preferences window?:

front mic
    front mic boost(optionally)
    and (the most important) the 2 inputs
    (see screenshots)

If yes moreover play(i say play here because e.g. my motherboard has 2 positions to connect the mic one in front and another one behind. I have had connected mic in front position) to set mic position in input source field in Options tab (see screenshots).That was an important point in my case

Hope this help you
    Last edited by harrykar; October 13th, 2009 at 08:33 AM.

Beans

Harrykar,
    thanks for the input.
    I have been playing with all the settings. Below is a screenshot of all the menus I have available. I have no problem getting a plug in mic (in my case only 1 input on the rear), in fact I cannot seem to shut it off even when i CHANGE AROUND THE alsa TO oss etc.
    It seems that the rear jack has got the input capture locked down and won't give it up, even when I turn on the mic in volume control and using gamix which at least shows controls for everything.
    My menus don't include all the options you have, not sure why, different boards I would guess. See attachment.
    My sound is all working fine so I am hesitant to install other programs to manage the audio. I went to synaptic package manager to try and follow the install sequence laid out by markbuntu at the beginning of this thread and it seems that it was mostly already installed and also since I have had some problems because of my 64 bit quad proc I would just as soon leave well enough alone.
    I think what I need is a command line fix to force the system to use the webcam mic tat the system sees:

here. If that is not possible then I would look for further enlightenment from the gurus of Ubuntu who are out there in their thousands and probably in the meantime I will just use an external mic.
    Thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Thorndog; October 13th, 2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: oops, forgot the screenshot..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been playing with all the settings. Below is a screenshot of all the menus I have available. I have no problem getting a plug in mic (in my case only 1 input on the rear), in fact I cannot seem to shut it off even when i CHANGE AROUND THE alsa TO oss etc.
    It seems that the rear jack has got the input capture locked down and won't give it up, even when I turn on the mic in volume control and using gamix which at least shows controls for everything.
    Firstmost post a sreenshot of your Options tab(i don't see it yet in your screenshot) like my here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...7&d=1255383426
    As i say there you can set the mic position like front mic, mic, line in my case (depend of your hardware) and it's a very important (for mic functioning) set. I remember in my case was per default in mic position instead of front mic and my mic was mute(on purpose "It seems that the rear jack has got the input capture locked down and won't give it up, even when I turn on the mic in volume control" that behavior suggest an improper setting or hardware.I guess the earlier). After i set it to front mic my mic wake up like a charm.
    (I use a planctronics like mic&headphone with 2 jacks one for mic and another one for headphone)

My menus don't include all the options you have, not sure why, different boards I would guess. See attachment.
    I agree with you

My sound is all working fine so I am hesitant to install other programs to manage the audio. I went to synaptic package manager to try and follow the install sequence laid out by markbuntu at the beginning of this thread and it seems that it was mostly already installed and also since I have had some problems because of my 64 bit quad proc I would just as soon leave well enough alone.
    I'm sure it's not a lack of software problem but an inappropriate set instead

I think what I need is a command line fix to force the system to use the webcam mic tat the system sees:
    I don't know magic commands once again post a sreenshot of your Options tab

If that is not possible then I would look for further enlightenment from the gurus of Ubuntu who are out there in their thousands and probably in the meantime I will just use an external mic.
    OT: Hehe the real gurus have been in the past and now are in embeeded systems or maybe in *bsd (if you ignore about take a glance here: http://harrykar.blogspot.com/2009/10/freebsd.html) world. Here we're just normal users more or less informed(geeks?) but certainly not gurus

If your options tab is well set and webcam's mic is ever death then you can probe an external mic in the rear

Thanks for your help
    My pleasure. Also I have been helped elsewhere. That's the strength of a good community

Harry

PS: Also notice the difference between your sound capture field set and my & others(that's moreover the default) in the sreenshot below. Moreover if you clik the next test button and mic is working you must hear your voice with a reverb(little delay) & probably a little noise
    Last edited by harrykar; October 14th, 2009 at 10:05 AM.

Beans

Harrykar,
    I didn't explain but the one window on the screenshot on the right was your volume control window for comparison. Mine does not even have an options tab!! I set up my netbook with 9.10 'netbook remix', which incidentally is a great package, last night for Skype and it has more or less exactly the settings windows that you show in you screenshots. Like, hey this looks familiar sais I. Absolutely flawless setup, webcam and mic both work.
    I already have rear mic going on my 'main machine'. I'm guessing that my next system update will magically 'fix' this problem like all the other problems that got fixed updating from 8.04 to 9.04 meanwhile I will keep poking no doubt since it is bothering me. When it's fixed, I'll post.
    Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

Harrykar,
    I didn't explain but the one window on the screenshot on the right was your volume control window for comparison. Mine does not even have an options tab!!
    Sorry too little my time for help > much speed > much bugs(miss in my case: i not have observed well because half window was hidden from another one)

Harrykar,
    I set up my netbook with 9.10 'netbook remix', which incidentally is a great package, last night for Skype and it has more or less exactly the settings windows that you show in you screenshots. Like, hey this looks familiar sais I. Absolutely flawless setup, webcam and mic both work.
    If i think my first Slakware in first '90s LOL I "blush". Well done

Harrykar,
    I already have rear mic going on my 'main machine'. I'm guessing that my next system update will magically 'fix' this problem like all the other problems that got fixed updating from 8.04 to 9.04 meanwhile I will keep poking no doubt since it is bothering me. When it's fixed, I'll post.
    So you have an alternative way; you're working(if I have understood well). Regard fixes: That's sure. The only problem is if someone hasn't alternative (you have fortunately rear mic possibility ); because Bazzaar (see Stallman's cathedral Vs bazaar ) world is a little to very chaotic & therefore the bugfix shedule is mostly time-depended

PS: I just run 9.10 beta release on a virtual machine and i notice that my sound problem (not more ..but was a problem in the past) as i described it in my earlier post is still not fixed(it still needs manual work otherwise don't work "out of the box"). Maybe in 10.4 release ("The hope is the last to die")

Regards
    Harry Kar
    Last edited by harrykar; October 14th, 2009 at 07:49 PM.

Beans

Hello all,

I'm running Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 on laptop and sound is working perfectly except on headphones where no sound plays at all. I googled the problem and many resources suggested turning off "Surround" in Volume Control > Preferences. However, there is not any listing of "surround" in the preferences list. Of course the device is HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer).

Any other possible way to get headphones to work?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by simsimt View Post
    Hello all,

I'm running Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 on laptop and sound is working perfectly except on headphones where no sound plays at all. I googled the problem and many resources suggested turning off "Surround" in Volume Control > Preferences. However, there is not any listing of "surround" in the preferences list. Of course the device is HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer).

Any other possible way to get headphones to work?

Thanks in advance.
    Take a glance in my posts from #229 till here(if you have that hw). Unfortunately all this are problems strictly hardware(that's fastly varying in time) depended (precisely motherboard's/PCI soundcard chipset). So hardware coincidence is difficult/improbable and consequently every answer refer to a particular (not all) hardware. My hw (look in my earlier posts) permits a Swich tab (look in sreenshot) that matter headphones. All i have to do is tic the field

Hope this help you
    Last edited by harrykar; October 22nd, 2009 at 11:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I made a mess of things. Basically, I added some repo's that totally destroyed my dependencies and I had to re-install a lot of packages (including alsa and pulse). I also had to re-install my kernel and numerous other things.

In between doing all this my configuration got messed up. Before adding the repo everything was fine. So, I assume if I were to re-install jaunty at this point everything would work fine. But, of course I'd rather not re-install everything.

What the basic commands show me:

Code:
    $ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:217: no soundcards found...
    Code:
    $ alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
    [code]
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30a5
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
    Memory at d2400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
    [code]

I've done everything in these guides:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130384
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1043568
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012

Nothing has worked for me. In fact I've done everything twice I think!

Please help!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I had issues with front headphones jack not working after I changed my motherboard to an ASUS P5K/1600 one.

I kinda fixed it (I think have a problem with totem not using pulseaudio but something else)

First, I did aplay -l
    Code:
    vx@vx:~$ LANG=EN aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: VT1708B Analog [VT1708B Analog]
      Subdevices: 2/2
      Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    so it had 2 "subdevices" this is apparently very rare. My guess was that subdevice #1 was the front headphone jack. None of my programs was using that subdevice.

So I did:
    Code:
    aplay -Dhw:0,0,1 somewavfile.wav
    And headphones were working, problem was getting to make pulseaudio use them which I eventually did by :
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
    I added:
    Code:
    load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0,1
    Just before the:
    Code:
    ### Automatically load driver modules for Bluetooth hardware
    Line, restarted and a new device was appearing in pulseaudio. I used pulseaudio manager's "configure local sound server" to create a virtual device that sent input to both devices. I made this new virtual device the default. headphones work in Rhythmbox but not in totem for some reason.

I also have another problem with PCM mixer getting muted whenever I log-in, this seems to get fixed temporarily by removing ~/.pulse and ~/.pulse-cookie, but it gets ruined again eventually.

Edit: I deleted ~/.pulse and ~/.pulse-cookie again then rebooted, and now everything seems to work 100%, headphones work in totem and there is no PCM muting on init.
    Last edited by vexorian; October 26th, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast