00-00: VT1708B Analog : VT1708B Analog : playback 2 : capture 2
    00-01: VT1708B Digital : VT1708B Digital : playback 1
    01-03: ATI HDMI : ATI HDMI : playback 1
    Last edited by Pitboss; May 17th, 2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

Look in the alsa volume controls. If you have the gnome-alsamixer that is the best place to look. make sure the record box in not checked under PCM.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans

I am glad that you got your Audio working. I am having similar audio problems...
    I would like to know your hardware Configuration, I Am using ..
    -Intel BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    -Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
    -CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    -POWERCOLOR AX4870 1GBD5-PPH Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
    -Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-216DBK
    -Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-S-Plus Video Device 790 PCI Interface

I tried ALSA, OSS, and Pulse as audio drivers and tried various combinations.. I was not able to successfully get my sound working. .. as you know its fustrating. ( I also tried to disable the HDA in the BIOS.. No Luck) I am thinkging the IRQ the sytemboard uses for onboard audio does not match the some setting in my alsa-config... but that is a guess. Any Suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    Look in the alsa volume controls. If you have the gnome-alsamixer that is the best place to look. make sure the record box in not checked under PCM.
    I don't have a record box under the PCM. I notice the same thing I noticed before: I have two Capture controls in the gnome-alsamixer under which I have two Rec checkboxes and if I mute one of them, it stops recording the music so loudly it records it as if I were montiring it. If I check or unckeck the Rec checkbox under this capture it mutes or unmutes the Input device in the Pulseaudio Volume Control.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thankyou for your excellent post. I had no sound in Firefox (Flash 10), Rhythmbox, etc. Installing Padevchooser & pointing it to my usb speakers, as suggested & viola, sound sweet sound. Once again THANKYOU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by harveygfl View Post
    I am glad that you got your Audio working. I am having similar audio problems...
    I would like to know your hardware Configuration, I Am using ..
    -Intel BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    -Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
    -CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    -POWERCOLOR AX4870 1GBD5-PPH Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
    -Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-216DBK
    -Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-S-Plus Video Device 790 PCI Interface

I tried ALSA, OSS, and Pulse as audio drivers and tried various combinations.. I was not able to successfully get my sound working. .. as you know its fustrating. ( I also tried to disable the HDA in the BIOS.. No Luck) I am thinkging the IRQ the sytemboard uses for onboard audio does not match the some setting in my alsa-config... but that is a guess. Any Suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
    You should read this, it is about getting sound working with multiple hardware devices. You have three devices, on-board sound, HDMI sound from the 4870, and tv card sound.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=922860
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, I still haven't resolved the mic problem, but now I'm writing to ask if anyone else experiences this: Amarok and Vlc can't play sound when they are both on. Why does this happen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If VLC is not set to use pulseaudio that can happen.

For the mic problem, open the gnome-alsa mixer and edit/sound card properties and check to see if there are other options that are unchecked. If you check them they will show up in the volume control and you can turn them off. I have some Input Source boxes that I had to reveal that way so I could turn them off.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

All right, thanks man now I have a working mic at last. In the volume control I had to select preferences and then Input Source and then in the newly appeared Input Source tab select mic.

However the problem with vlc and amarok doesn't resolve. I have selected the audio output of vlc to be pulse but when I play a movie I can't play songs and vice versa. And it's not only that. Skype is acting the same way. Once I read somewhere that pulse can't support more than one application. Is that right?

EDIT: And maybe it's amarok's audio output that causes this problem, but I can't find any option where I can select it.
    Last edited by Pitboss; May 20th, 2009 at 07:34 AM.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast