Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

Try this, make a new user and log in with that.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Good thought, but still no sound with a new user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Raptor3552,

I've followed your instructions for a laptop & a desktop. Both now work OK for Sound Recording. For Audacity on both desktop & laptop, the devices toolbar is not shown for a user with administrative privileges but is shown for a user without administrative privileges! However, you can get to it (for a user with administrative privileges) by bringing up the Edit/Preferences window using the appropriate top menu selection.

In the gnome volume control after unmuting the microphone icon (in the Recording tab's Capture column), it becomes mute again after the window is closed and opened! This is already posted on Launchpad as bug 299642.

I still have a problem with Skype recording (checked by using its Options window to make a test call and then listening to the call being played back). Sometimes it works OK. I thought it might be to do with the 'Allow Skype to adjust my mixer levels' (in the Skype Options window). But clearing or setting that check box has no effect on the test call success. I'd previously set this to pulse for each of Sound In, Sound Out & Ringing, as recommended by another thread/posting (whose details I forget). What do you recommend as settings here?

However, I then thought of the PulseAudio Volume Control. The Input Devices tab was showing the volume as 0% and the speaker icon as mute. I don't know what caused this to happen as it was previously at 100%. Unmuting it and settng it back to 100% didn't result in Skype test call success! The Show list box is currently at 'All except monitors'. Any recommendation for the Show list box?
    John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hey, man now I have fully working audio thanks very much for your advice. However I have trouble when talking over skype. People from the other side report that they hear themselves rather than hear me, and hear some noise. If anyone has gone through this please let me know.

Thanks, in advance.

EDIT: I understood what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it. It seems that for some reason, when there is output sound it goes in the input channel, that is that when I'm playing mp3, and trying to record my voice, I hear the mp3 so loud and I almost can't hear my voice.

Pitboss
    Last edited by Pitboss; May 13th, 2009 at 10:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I tried a LOT of things to fix my sound. Uninstalled pulse, ALSA, reinstall alsa, try adding various lines to config files, etc.

So I've no idea if it was really the last step I tried that fixed it, or a combination of a lot of things.

But I did eventually notice a sneaky little config that I don't think was on my 8.10 setup.

System > Preferences > Default Sound Card.

The default was blank. So I simply chose my sound card. Instant sound.

Long may it last.

I do find it unfortunate that one of the most basic functions of my desktop computer (audio) causes me the biggest trouble in Ubuntu.

Peter
    Last edited by peternz; May 13th, 2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Can anyone tell me why in 64bit Jaunty the lib32asound-plugins file is deleted whenever Skype, Picasa, or any Wine-based app is installed. Or why Skype, Picasa and any Wine-based app is deleted when lib32asound-plugins are re-installed. Which means you can have one or the other, but not both.

lib32asound-plugins seem to be crucial for many multimedia apps to work (Audacity, Amarok, VLC, etc).

System sounds and Skype sound are unaffected by the problem.

There is a discussion about this on the 64bit forum, but so far it has not provided any solution.
    Never stop learning.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Many thanks for your post markbuntu.

I did have sound on Jaunty but silence in Karmic. I never thought to check the user groups, but reading your post I found I was not a member of any of the Pulse groups.

All working now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions
    Necessary Packages
    As with Hardy and Intrepid, some important packages necessary for optimal sound set up are missing. Open System/Adminstration/Synaptic package manager and search pulse. This is the easiest way to find and install all the packages we need. Select the following packages

padevchooser -this will pull in all the pulseaudio guis and their dependencies

if you plan on using vlc or xmms2 or 32 bit or libao apps etc, you can get those packages now too. If you are not constrained on disk space it is a good idea to get all of the following

vlc-plugin-pulse -this also pulls in a lot of libs that vlc will need
    xmms2-plugin-pulse -this also pulls in the xmms2 core
    pulseaudio-module-lirc - this is to use lirc and your infrared remote with pulse
    libsdl1.2debian-all -this wil replace the alsa version with all available drivers
    lib32asound2-plugins -this is the 32 bit plugins for 32 bit apps
    libao2 - you need this for apps using the libao cross platform library
    asoundconf-gtk -applet for default alsa sound card
    audacious-plugins-extra -plugins for audacious for many codecs like MP3, aac, FLAC, WMA, etc
    Hi Mark.. when I attempt to install these I get the following msg:
    Code:
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      flashplugin-installer ia32-libs libsdl1.2debian-alsa nspluginwrapper
    Will I miss these packages? Particularly the flashplugin & nspluginwrapper?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by l-x-l View Post
    Hi Mark.. when I attempt to install these I get the following msg:
    Code:
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      flashplugin-installer ia32-libs libsdl1.2debian-alsa nspluginwrapper
    Will I miss these packages? Particularly the flashplugin & nspluginwrapper?
    I also found that when installing lib32asound2-plugins, this removes both Skype and any Wine-based apps, such as Picasa. However, I since got my machine working OK without this package. Sound works fine if I follow all of the How To guide, but substitute lib32asound2 for the lib32asound2-plugins. This also leaves Skype and Wine apps installed.

I can't say why this works, as I'm not sufficiently experienced to understand what these two packages are doing exactly. But it solved my problem.
    Last edited by gewitty; May 14th, 2009 at 02:53 PM.
    Never stop learning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Pitboss View Post
    Hey, man now I have fully working audio thanks very much for your advice. However I have trouble when talking over skype. People from the other side report that they hear themselves rather than hear me, and hear some noise. If anyone has gone through this please let me know.

Thanks, in advance.

EDIT: I understood what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it. It seems that for some reason, when there is output sound it goes in the input channel, that is that when I'm playing mp3, and trying to record my voice, I hear the mp3 so loud and I almost can't hear my voice.

Pitboss
    Hey I still have this problem and it's seriously ******* me off. So if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast