Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

I am having this exact problem in Ubuntu 9.04 amd64. I can record the output of rhythmbox (with sound recorder AND audacity) when connecting to the monitor BUT nothing when using the mic even though the mic plays through the speakers.

When I kill pulseaudio and then start it up I see three errors:
    Code:
    E: module-rtp-send.c: Source does not exist.
    E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-rtp-send" (argument: "source=@DEFAULT_SOURCE@ loop=0"): initialization failed.
    E: module-gconf.c: pa_module_load() failed
    Is there a package I need?

output of arecord -l:
    Code:
    **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
      Subdevices: 3/3
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
      Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
      Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    output of arecord -L
    Code:
    front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
        Front speakers
    surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
        4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
    surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
        4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
        5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
    surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
        5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
    surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
        7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
    iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
        HDA Intel, AD198x Digital
        IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
    null
        Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
    my sound card
    cat /proc/asound/cards
    Code:
     0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                          HDA Intel at 0xfe7f8000 irq 22
     1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                          HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfe8fc000 irq 17
    output of lspci
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
    00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Port 1
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Port 5
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Port 6
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 90)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JIR (ICH10R) LPC Interface Controller
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI Controller
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3870
    01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3870 Audio device Note: This is my video??
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
    03:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE6121 SATA II Controller (rev b1)
    05:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 70)
    Disclaimer: Aint nuthin right in my left brain and nuthin left in the right

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Re: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

I've also been stuck on this one. I've got an HP DV6z (an HD ATI SB), and every fix I've tried so far has had absolutely no effect. I've tried editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf a couple of different ways, uninstalling ALSA and replacing it with OSS, upgrading ALSA to 1.0.20, and downgrading my Kubuntu install to 8.04.

I haven't tried the fix listed here yet, but that's next, when I have some time. I haven't been stumped on a problem like this before. Usually a quick couple of searches comes up with a fix, but this time there are people all over trying things that don't work for me.

I've been reduced to using Windows on my own equipment again.
    Last edited by Sxeptomaniac; May 11th, 2009 at 07:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by raptor2552 View Post
    I am having this exact problem in Ubuntu 9.04 amd64. I can record the output of rhythmbox (with sound recorder AND audacity) when connecting to the monitor BUT nothing when using the mic even though the mic plays through the speakers.
    Try playing around with the capture devices in one of the the alsa mixers, either the one on the panel or the gnome-alsa mixer. You may need to enable them in the edit/preferences tab. It is the capture settings that are for recording. At least you know your mic can work which is a big problem for a lot of people. Also, be sure to follow the OP exactly.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by FredBarns View Post
    Okay, did it. I have a lot of data. I don't have the expertise to detect what might be wrong. Nothing is obiously an error to me:
    What model is your dell?
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sxeptomaniac View Post
    I've also been stuck on this one. I've got an HP DV6z (an HD ATI SB), and every fix I've tried so far has had absolutely no effect. I've tried editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf a couple of different ways, uninstalling ALSA and replacing it with OSS, upgrading ALSA to 1.0.20, and downgrading my Kubuntu install to 8.04.

I haven't tried the fix listed here yet, but that's next, when I have some time. I haven't been stumped on a problem like this before. Usually a quick couple of searches comes up with a fix, but this time there are people all over trying things that don't work for me.

I've been reduced to using Windows on my own equipment again.
    It looks like that may be the way to go since you have pretty much tried everything else.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Why does this have to be so hard? I got it working for anyone interested. You'll have to discover your own hardware ( I have the HDA Intel AD198x) setup but basically:

System > Preferences > Sound
    set Sound Events, Music and Movies, Audio Conferencing.Sound > Playback to: PulseAudio Sound Server
    set Audio Conferencing.Sound > Capture to:Hardware device, e.g., HDA Intel AD198x Analog ALSA
    set Default Mixer Tracks to: Hardware device e.g., Playback: HDA Intel - AD198x (PulseAudio)

Volume Control (click on speaker icon in panel)
    click on Device: and select your hardware device that most closely matches your Capture Hardware selected above (for example HDA Intel (ALSA Mixer)
    click on the Preferences button to make sure all your devices are selected. In the case of my Intel card:
    Under playback: Master, PCM, Line-in, CD, microphone, Mic boost, Analog mix
    Under recording: capture
    under options: input source

click on the Options tab, select mic for input source
    click on the Recording tab be sure capture volume is up and the speaker icon is enabled (don't fret over the mic icon)
    click on the Playback tab make sure the volumes are turned up and enabled. Note that the microphone only needs to be unmuted if you want to monitor what is coming thru the mic, otherwise leave it muted as it will only introduce noise and most likely feedback into your recording

Start Sound recorder and enjoy (not my favorite app)

Prefered app - Audacity
    With this you may easily select between a mic and other input devices be sure the Device Toolbar is visible
    Next to the speaker icon (Playback) select ALSA: pulse

To use the mic:
    Next to the mic icon (Input) select the hardware device in my case: ALSA: HDA Intel: AD198x Analog (hw:0,0)
    Record from the mic and enjoy. Remeber, to monitor your mic session you'll need to unmute the mic in the volume control.

To record from say Rhythmbox:
    Next to the mic icon (input) select the hardware device select ALSA: pulse, and in your System > Preferences > Sound set Audio ConFerencing > Sound Capture to: PulseAudio Sound Server, you can now record from Pulses Monitor using this guide, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130384
    Last edited by raptor2552; May 12th, 2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: incomplete option corrected
    Disclaimer: Aint nuthin right in my left brain and nuthin left in the right

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi Markbuntu,

Thanks again for your help. It is a latitude d520 I attach a screen shot that shows my current settings. Perhaps I am doing something really stupid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you turn off the service discovery in the device chooser and turn off the rtp sender and receiver stuff and simultaneous output what happens?
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you turn off all the notifications and uncheck any boxes in Multicast RTP and turn off simultaneous output what do you get in output devices?
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Still no luck. Is reinstalling pulse audio likely to help. I am about at the edge of doing a clean install, but that would require quite a bit of effort to get everything back the way it was. I do get login sounds up until the desktop comes up. I had a look at pulse audio manager. I wonder if it is meaningful that default sink is "auto_null"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast