Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Slow DNS Resolution

Beans

Re: Very Slow DNS Resolution

Quote Originally Posted by t.alex View Post
    take a look at /etc/resolv.conf and play with the servers and see if it makes a difference
    thx, this helped. I had three entries in the list, two of those:
    nameserver 138.188.101.186
    nameserver 138.188.101.189
    removing those fixes the problem, but in the file it says it will overwrite itself, so how can I make this fix permanent?

thx again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by marcuskuhn View Post
    thx, this helped. I had three entries in the list, two of those:

removing those fixes the problem, but in the file it says it will overwrite itself, so how can I make this fix permanent?

thx again!
    NetworkManager writes these entries. Edit your connection profile, IPv4 tab. Change from "Automatic (DHCP)" to "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only", and enter your DNS information manually. The /etc/resolv.conf should then mirror this setting.

Beans

I allready did that, before my second post I think. It now works and I will report back if it changed back. Otherwise I would be interested where those two DNS-Server IPs came from...

Best
    Last edited by marcuskuhn; April 20th, 2009 at 09:41 PM.

Beans

I now switched to a new network, the one at my University, and the problem is back, attached my resolv.conf
    Code:
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 130.82.128.1
    search unisg.ch.
    Any idea where those two DNS-entries are coming from?

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by marcuskuhn View Post
    I now switched to a new network, the one at my University, and the problem is back, attached my resolv.conf
    Code:
    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 130.82.128.1
    search unisg.ch.
    Any idea where those two DNS-entries are coming from?
    After you switched to the university connection, did you edit the profile for that connection also?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lithorus View Post
    After you switched to the university connection, did you edit the profile for that connection also?
    Yes I did but still had to edit the file manually. And about the OpenDNS suggestion. I already did that before my first post.

Thx,

Marcus

Beans

So, just arrived back home, even with the edited Config the two DNS-Server mentioned above reappear in my list and I have to edit them out manually.

Any suggestions?

Thx

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Re: Very Slow DNS Resolution

I'm having the same problem...

It started after my first vpnc connection to my work was established - once I connected it correctly added in the dns servers and search domain for my work environment.

But...
    Now it continues to use these settings, overwriting the file, every time I start up.

There must be something broken with vpnc, or how network manager gets it's information for generating the 'resolv.conf' file everytime networking is started.

Help!

*UPDATE* Ok, this problem has been around since 2006 - and there is much confusion about the correct expectations are for the conditions that cause "resolvconf" to update /etc/resolv.conf

What _should_ happen - at every startup or when networking is started / stopped on a dhcp'd network computer - the /etc/resolv.conf file should be updated with the information provided by the dhcp server. Period.
    What _DOES_ happen - at least for me - is the information is updated from my dhcp server (correctly) but then it proceeds to add in the information from my last vpnc session (not right) so my dns searches all have to wait for my non-existent work dns servers to time out before checking with my local dns server (router).

The dns entries for the vpnc connection should only exist when a vpnc connection is active, it should NOT exist when disconnected from the vpnc tunnel.

One so called "solution" that some have found is to remove the "resolveconf" package... which will stop this updating behavior.

command line:
    sudo apt-get remove resolvconf

Note that the above 'fix' actually breaks some functionality, but network-manager can still update resolv.conf file correctly.
    Last edited by jon_herr; April 23rd, 2009 at 12:24 AM. Reason: added "sudo" to command line example

Beans
    Hidden!

Red face Re: Very Slow DNS Resolution

For clarity...

One so called "solution" that some have found is to remove the "resolveconf" package... which will stop this updating behavior.

command line:
    sudo apt-get remove resolvconf

Note that the above 'fix' actually breaks some functionality, but network-manager can still update resolv.conf file correctly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast