Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To RC or to not to...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To RC or to not to...

I'm GAGGING to install Jaunty. I've had to resist the urge to try out the beta's etc for various reasons, but those reasons are now passed with just 4 days to go!

I'd love to install Jaunty RC however, i remember installing the intrepid beta's and upgrading to the final release via update manager.. and that just lead to a whole host of issues that needed a swift re-install to sort out.

SO my question is, given it's a RC and there's no major bugs reported stopping the release proper, should i install the RC?
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: To RC or to not to...

It's up to you, take a look at the release notes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    I'm GAGGING to install Jaunty. I've had to resist the urge to try out the beta's etc for various reasons, but those reasons are now passed with just 4 days to go!

I'd love to install Jaunty RC however, i remember installing the intrepid beta's and upgrading to the final release via update manager.. and that just lead to a whole host of issues that needed a swift re-install to sort out.

SO my question is, given it's a RC and there's no major bugs reported stopping the release proper, should i install the RC?
    I'd say go for it.

But do 'lspci' and post or research your sound card and video adapter within this forum first.

There are sound issues which are able to be fixed by upgrading kernels and installing non-ubuntu sanctioned (yet) pulseaudio and alsa releases.

For the ATI and Intel based adapters it is often a different story. People are reporting issues.

Supposedly the card I have, a ATI Radeon 200M, used to get 800+ fps as reported by glxgears in 8.10. Now in 9.04 it gets no higher than 300fps.

It would be wise to research.
    100% Microsoft Free Since April 2, 2009

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Resistance is futile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

...That is the question. I would go for it. I am an impatient person, and am upgrading right now. I am, needless to say, EXTEREMELY excited. However, I wouldn't upgrade to RC if you have problems with 8.10 anyway!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm2 View Post
    I'd say go for it.

For the ATI and Intel based adapters it is often a different story. People are reporting issues.

Supposedly the card I have, a ATI Radeon 200M, used to get 800+ fps as reported by glxgears in 8.10. Now in 9.04 it gets no higher than 300fps.

It would be wise to research.
    Thankfully (to an extent ) I'm AMD/Nvidia which have always worked flawlessly for myself. (apart from trying to manually install nvidia drivers... grr)

I do think i'll wait. I've had to use Windows 7 for a month after Intrepid messed up again and again so i'm really looking forward to Jaunty - particularly because of the great beta reviews.

4 days. It's an endurance test resisting, but if there are such un-awesome sound car issues as you say then I'll wait for a fix!
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    Thankfully (to an extent ) I'm AMD/Nvidia which have always worked flawlessly for myself. (apart from trying to manually install nvidia drivers... grr)

I do think i'll wait. I've had to use Windows 7 for a month after Intrepid messed up again and again so i'm really looking forward to Jaunty - particularly because of the great beta reviews.

4 days. It's an endurance test resisting, but if there are such un-awesome sound car issues as you say then I'll wait for a fix!
    Yeah, don't get me wrong. Jaunty is by far the best Linux release I have ever tried (I think I first installed Slackware in 1996 or so?) . Wireless including wpa2-personal with AES worked straight after the install with no configuration besides setting up the passphrase for the wireless. Both of my systems were functional immediately after install with just minor issues.

Jaunty is a huge improvement over 8.10.
    100% Microsoft Free Since April 2, 2009

Beans

Yes, I got the itch yesterday and have installed it on a couple old laptops and the installation was very smooth and the release is very stable. Aside from sound not working on one laptop, everything else did...graphics, networking, printing...all aok. Of course these were not production machines, but I think I would trust the rc for most setups.

PS - ext 4 booting times on older laptops is simply mind-blowing, really, really cool!

64-Bit Ubuntu! Join the future of computing.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I say go for it too. It basically is the final release. There may be a few bug fixes or tweaks before the final but I doubt if it's anything show stopping. Jaunty is the best release I've ever used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I love Ubuntu, but seriously... 1 week..?

They cant just cut out the RC and let us wait an extra 7 days for the final release? They are too good too us!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast