Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: To RC or to not to...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    682
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    To RC or to not to...

    I'm GAGGING to install Jaunty. I've had to resist the urge to try out the beta's etc for various reasons, but those reasons are now passed with just 4 days to go!

    I'd love to install Jaunty RC however, i remember installing the intrepid beta's and upgrading to the final release via update manager.. and that just lead to a whole host of issues that needed a swift re-install to sort out.

    SO my question is, given it's a RC and there's no major bugs reported stopping the release proper, should i install the RC?
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: To RC or to not to...

    It's up to you, take a look at the release notes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    538

    Re: To RC or to not to...

    Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    I'm GAGGING to install Jaunty. I've had to resist the urge to try out the beta's etc for various reasons, but those reasons are now passed with just 4 days to go!

    I'd love to install Jaunty RC however, i remember installing the intrepid beta's and upgrading to the final release via update manager.. and that just lead to a whole host of issues that needed a swift re-install to sort out.

    SO my question is, given it's a RC and there's no major bugs reported stopping the release proper, should i install the RC?
    I'd say go for it.

    But do 'lspci' and post or research your sound card and video adapter within this forum first.

    There are sound issues which are able to be fixed by upgrading kernels and installing non-ubuntu sanctioned (yet) pulseaudio and alsa releases.

    For the ATI and Intel based adapters it is often a different story. People are reporting issues.

    Supposedly the card I have, a ATI Radeon 200M, used to get 800+ fps as reported by glxgears in 8.10. Now in 9.04 it gets no higher than 300fps.

    It would be wise to research.
    100% Microsoft Free Since April 2, 2009

  4. #4
    Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Right behind you...
    Beans
    2,768
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: To RC or to not to...

    .
    Resistance is futile.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    141
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: To RC or to not to...

    ...That is the question. I would go for it. I am an impatient person, and am upgrading right now. I am, needless to say, EXTEREMELY excited. However, I wouldn't upgrade to RC if you have problems with 8.10 anyway!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    682
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: To RC or to not to...

    Quote Originally Posted by paradigm2 View Post
    I'd say go for it.

    For the ATI and Intel based adapters it is often a different story. People are reporting issues.

    Supposedly the card I have, a ATI Radeon 200M, used to get 800+ fps as reported by glxgears in 8.10. Now in 9.04 it gets no higher than 300fps.

    It would be wise to research.
    Thankfully (to an extent ) I'm AMD/Nvidia which have always worked flawlessly for myself. (apart from trying to manually install nvidia drivers... grr)

    I do think i'll wait. I've had to use Windows 7 for a month after Intrepid messed up again and again so i'm really looking forward to Jaunty - particularly because of the great beta reviews.

    4 days. It's an endurance test resisting, but if there are such un-awesome sound car issues as you say then I'll wait for a fix!
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Beans
    538

    Re: To RC or to not to...

    Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    Thankfully (to an extent ) I'm AMD/Nvidia which have always worked flawlessly for myself. (apart from trying to manually install nvidia drivers... grr)

    I do think i'll wait. I've had to use Windows 7 for a month after Intrepid messed up again and again so i'm really looking forward to Jaunty - particularly because of the great beta reviews.

    4 days. It's an endurance test resisting, but if there are such un-awesome sound car issues as you say then I'll wait for a fix!
    Yeah, don't get me wrong. Jaunty is by far the best Linux release I have ever tried (I think I first installed Slackware in 1996 or so?) . Wireless including wpa2-personal with AES worked straight after the install with no configuration besides setting up the passphrase for the wireless. Both of my systems were functional immediately after install with just minor issues.

    Jaunty is a huge improvement over 8.10.
    100% Microsoft Free Since April 2, 2009

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    581

    Re: To RC or to not to...

    Yes, I got the itch yesterday and have installed it on a couple old laptops and the installation was very smooth and the release is very stable. Aside from sound not working on one laptop, everything else did...graphics, networking, printing...all aok. Of course these were not production machines, but I think I would trust the rc for most setups.

    PS - ext 4 booting times on older laptops is simply mind-blowing, really, really cool!


    64-Bit Ubuntu! Join the future of computing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    87
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: To RC or to not to...

    I say go for it too. It basically is the final release. There may be a few bug fixes or tweaks before the final but I doubt if it's anything show stopping. Jaunty is the best release I've ever used.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Beans
    324
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: To RC or to not to...

    I love Ubuntu, but seriously... 1 week..?

    They cant just cut out the RC and let us wait an extra 7 days for the final release? They are too good too us!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •