Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pidgin and the fast user switching applet in 9.04

Beans

Pidgin and the fast user switching applet in 9.04

When pidgin is running, it transforms the user switching applet into a pidgin status / user switching applet (better described here: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/233). Does anyone know how to turn this feature off?

Beans

Re: Pidgin and the fast user switching applet in 9.04

I was able to edit the configuration for fast-user-switch-applet to disable the sub-menu that is displayed when logged into pidgin.

- Open the Configuration editor in administrator mode
    Code:
    user@computer > gksudo gconf-editor
    - browse to /apps/fast-user-switch-applet
    - uncheck show_presence_info

I wasn't able to disable the presence icon (green circle for online, red for offline, etc..) displayed by the fast-user-switch-applet with this configuration change.
    Last edited by st000; April 29th, 2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: try new formatting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

this is somewhat unrelated, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread unnecessarily.

I agree that the new pidgin feature is kind of useless (especially since you can do the same thing from the system tray or add a plugin to go away on lock, etc.), but I mainly think so because it does nothing other than control Pidgin. Do you think there's any way this could be modified to work with other applications? It might actually prove useful if it could change status in other networking tools - like skype or something. I don't know.
    Thinkpad T61 (6459-CTO) + mods

Beans

The integration should be optional!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i don't get what the huge issue is, you can just not click those buttons.... and besides there's already a simple solution to disable it below, so it would seem that it is optional.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

In my opinion the feature itself is just plain stupid, its pointless...its just integrating a already good system into the os itself..so if you dont want said feature of the os such as fast user switch applet...then you loose functionality of pidgin because the icon for pidgin nolonger shows up in the notification area, any fixes for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ick...sounds like a dumb ploy
    http://sekuritysuks.wordpress.com

~$ sudo apt-get meabeer
    E: Invalid operation meabeer

Beans

I like that new fusa applet, because they implemented something I had wished for a long time - you now can tell with one applet what you current status is and it tells that different applications like pidgin and empathy. Like the clock applet that now also shows weather information this allows the user to have less applets on his panel. This is exactly the right direction.

cheap uggs
    hair cuts durham nc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: Pidgin and the fast user switching applet in 9.04

Quote Originally Posted by XxsydenxX View Post
    In my opinion the feature itself is just plain stupid, its pointless...its just integrating a already good system into the os itself..so if you dont want said feature of the os such as fast user switch applet...then you loose functionality of pidgin because the icon for pidgin nolonger shows up in the notification area, any fixes for this?
    But I still have an icon in the notification area...

You're right, it is redundant - and if your icon is gone then it's probably a major pain.

Maybe you disabled it yourself? Try going to Tools ---> Preferences.
    You should see in the main "interface" tab a menu for the system tray icon. Make sure it's set to "Always" if you want to see a Pidgin icon in the tray.

Does this fix your problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by julie20099 View Post
    I like that new fusa applet, because they implemented something I had wished for a long time - you now can tell with one applet what you current status is and it tells that different applications like pidgin and empathy. Like the clock applet that now also shows weather information this allows the user to have less applets on his panel. This is exactly the right direction.
    I (sort of) agree, but I also like the Pidgin icon. And as I said before, it would be nice to see that function working with other applications as well, so that it wasn't completely pointless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast