Thread: Insatlling Root on ubuntu (hardy)

Beans

[SOLVED]Insatlling Root on ubuntu (hardy)

I'm triying to install programming language root on ubuntu 8.04. I got some problems. It tells me (I deleted the non-problematic lines)

Code:
    Checking for X11/extensions/shape.h ... no
    configure: X11/extensions/shape.h header (xorg-x11-proto-devel) MUST be installed
    I have this package on my ubuntu. Even I tried to install it again. The package installer tells me:

Code:
    cenk@Cenko:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i xorg-x11-proto-devel_7.4-6_all.deb 
    (Reading database ... 101363 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking xorg-x11-proto-devel (from xorg-x11-proto-devel_7.4-6_all.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing xorg-x11-proto-devel_7.4-6_all.deb (--install):
     trying to overwrite `/usr/include/X11/HPkeysym.h', which is also in package x11proto-core-dev
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     xorg-x11-proto-devel_7.4-6_all.deb
    Sometimes I get really tired. I install one package, it wants another one. Am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by Cenko; September 6th, 2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: flagged Solved

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Insatlling Root on ubuntu (hardy)

Quote Originally Posted by Cenko View Post
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Well, it would seem the common phrase "You're doing it wrong" would indeed apply here. Why don't you just use (instead of compiling from source):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install root-system
    Or even install it through Synaptic (System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager).

Beans

I tried it does not install that way. I found out that when I did ./configure it said "no" after checking some packages and files.But it did not stop process like before. How can i install these dependent on root?

I mean I want them to be deleted when I uninstall root.
    Last edited by Cenko; April 18th, 2009 at 09:00 PM.

Beans

Ok! I did it finally!

You were right, I did it with apt-get. However before it was not able to find "root-system". After I made the change in the link, it worked.

http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root/

Beans

i did a search on the web for exactly the same problem (except my ubuntu is 9.04), and thanks to you guys.

Beans

Well, now I use ubuntu 9.04 and installed root from root.cern.ch by dowloading the source.

It's ofcourse easier by installing from apt-get, but then you won't have many features (At least it was so for me). It's better to install from source with options you want. It can keep asking you to install some packages, but be patient and install all these with aptitude.

Then you'll have a better root than one in ubuntu repository.