Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good is Ipod Classic in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question How good is Ipod Classic in Ubuntu

I need a new player and has been looking at the Ipod Classic 120Gb version.
    I already have an Nano 8Gb that Iv used Floola at with some success,but now and then crashes has happened.

But it feels a little stupid to keep up an outdatet XP partition just to run itunes.

I would be grateful if someone with this player or with knowledge about it could give a status on this player and Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: How good is Ipod Classic in Ubuntu

Rhythmbox works perfectly with the iPod Classic (I own one)

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: How good is Ipod Classic in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by amauk View Post
    That's nice to hear.My question is answered so many thank's to you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amauk View Post
    really? how about playlists? can you create / modify, and save playlists? here they dont survive an eject instruction.. (everything works like a charm, when you eject the device through the eject button, they are not saved onto the device)...

ipod classic 80gb here. rhythmbox 0.12.0

Beans

I have an 80GB iPod Classic and Amarok works perfectly with it. For me, at least.
    However, I noticed that the iPod is slower when navigating than when I used iTunes... Don't know if that is related. Music transfer is even easier than on iTunes though, and you can transfer it from the iPod to the computer with no hassle.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by poisoneggs View Post
    I have an 80GB iPod Classic and Amarok works perfectly with it. For me, at least.
    However, I noticed that the iPod is slower when navigating than when I used iTunes... Don't know if that is related. Music transfer is even easier than on iTunes though, and you can transfer it from the iPod to the computer with no hassle.
    It sounds for me like it will work okay for me then. The reason I look at the Clasic is the size, I want something that I can put a lot of my music and soundbooks on without all the shuffle that the 8Gb Nano now gives me.
    I guess that I may try to get usb working in VirtualBox too and use Itunes,but that would be the last option.

Thank's a lot to all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have an iPod Classic 120G....and...my experience:

1) MP3's load faster in Rhythmbox and Amarok then in iTunes. (I have a giant 70+ gb library.) iTunes took an entire day to add all of the music, but Rhythmbox took a couple of hours. I reset my ipod to see which was faster.

2) Amarok & Rhythmbox both delete & add files.....but no 'syncing'...... Banshee has a "sync" function but I haven't tried it yet.

3) Cover art sucks..... I read on here from someone that if you run your program's cover art finder while your ipod is mounted that it will find & put that cover art on to your ipod....but no luck there yet for me.

4) I have not found a way to get my pictures on my iPod in Ubuntu. I use iTunes for this. I travel a lot and like being able to reach in my pocket and look at my kids is important to me......this is the biggest roadblock for me with using a new gen iPod in linux.

5) Playlists can be temperamental. I have made them and watched them disappear after eject, but not always.

Beans

I have an iPod Classic 120Gb, and the latest version opf Rhythmbox and Amarok.

Rhythmbox only lets you read what is on the iPod - you can't transfer stuff to it.
    Music transfers to and fro fine with Amarok, however, there is a big problem with cover art.
    If you use Amarok to update the iPod, you'll find the cover art is completely scrambled - random covers for each album.
    The only way to get it back is to use iTunes.
    Since I have about 250 albums on there this is very irritating.

I've never used playlists so I don't know if they work properly or not, but I'd be surprised if they do.

So I have to say that no, Ubuntu does not properly support the latest iPods.
    Fortunately I have a Windows machine available on which I run iTunes.
    I think maybe the latest version of iTunes (8.x) has changed the database format, because iPods which have been synced using it no longer seem to work properly under Ubuntu.

The iPod Touch/iPhone work only with iTunes because of encryption.
    I'm afraid that unless you have an old iPod, Ubuntu is not suitable; you need a Mac or Windows to maintain it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I use Songbird/iPod Device Support addon with my ipod and it works sweet as, the only thing is it doesn't have an EQ yet. You can use picard to imbed album art into songs. Another good thing with Songbird is that it can watch folders and automatically add music to your collection.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBurt View Post
    I have an iPod Classic 120Gb, and the latest version opf Rhythmbox and Amarok.

Rhythmbox only lets you read what is on the iPod - you can't transfer stuff to it.
    Music transfers to and fro fine with Amarok, however, there is a big problem with cover art.
    If you use Amarok to update the iPod, you'll find the cover art is completely scrambled - random covers for each album.
    The only way to get it back is to use iTunes.
    Since I have about 250 albums on there this is very irritating.

I've never used playlists so I don't know if they work properly or not, but I'd be surprised if they do.
    Rhythmbox did not give me any problems with transfering music.
    But I'v started to use Banshee, and that works very well indeed.

Album art is a "little" shaky now and then,and playlist is something that I hasn't got to work at all.

But mostly is works very well and I'm quite happy with the setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast