Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Announcing the Release Candidate for Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Announcing the Release Candidate for Ubuntu 9.04

I was running the beta, ran an update from update manager (300MB of files) but no prompt to update to the RC. How can I tell if it upgraded to the RC? The update -d command doesn't show any new releases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vahnx View Post
    I was running the beta, ran an update from update manager (300MB of files) but no prompt to update to the RC. How can I tell if it upgraded to the RC? The update -d command doesn't show any new releases.
    It doesn't show them because you're already using Jaunty. If you have installed all the updates you're running the RC.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sadly, I'm still longing for the near-perfection of 8.04, the last version in which everything worked virtually flawlessly on my system.

- the last version in which Compiz and OpenGL apps would co-exist in harmony

- the last version in which multiple VoIP applications would run simultaneously without a hiccup

- the last version in which Sound Recorder would actually record sound

- the last version in which many apps wouldn't crash if you hovered the mouse cursor in the wrong spot for more than a second

That said, I do like the new notification system in 9.04 and I'll surely miss it when I revert back to Hardy.......again.

Beans
    Distro

I'm pretty sad about the state of video card support for Intel/ATI users. I'll have to take a pass on the upgrade on those machines probably. Currently I have Jaunty installed on an nVidia Graphics equipped system with not problems. I also have it installed on a laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600. That system will get either Hardy or Intrepid installed. Intrepid didn't work well with that system either when it came out, but I'm going to try the 9.3 ATI drivers and see if it works now.

Otherwise it's relegated to HARDY until some decent open source drivers are available. Currently they are just way to sluggish on that lappy.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core@3.33 GHz, 48 GB, ATI HD 5870
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    1 TB WD, 5 TB Barracuda(s), 500 GB Hitachi RAID0
    HP RocketU 1144C USB 3.0 Raid / Inateck USB 3.0

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by darkstaar View Post
    Sadly, I'm still longing for the near-perfection of 8.04, the last version in which everything worked virtually flawlessly on my system.

- the last version in which Compiz and OpenGL apps would co-exist in harmony

- the last version in which multiple VoIP applications would run simultaneously without a hiccup

- the last version in which Sound Recorder would actually record sound

- the last version in which many apps wouldn't crash if you hovered the mouse cursor in the wrong spot for more than a second

That said, I do like the new notification system in 9.04 and I'll surely miss it when I revert back to Hardy.......again.
    What are your system specs? It sounds like you are having problems with your video from points 1 and 4. Points 2 and 3 sound like the usual PulseAudio fun...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well I am back to Jaunty after virtually trying 5-6 distros. Now I installed the betas and upgraded to RC. Everything works fine except for the buggy pulse audio
    The sound output is just perfect but the laptop microphones are not working. I am really fedup with this pulse audio issues. Anyone knows any fix for this?
    'UBUNTU', THE COLOR OF MY LIFE!!!

Ubuntu User # 25608

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nystire View Post
    What are your system specs? It sounds like you are having problems with your video from points 1 and 4. Points 2 and 3 sound like the usual PulseAudio fun...
    I'm running a Toshiba laptop with Intel video hardware. However, my video hardware hasn't changed since Hardy.

As for the Audio issues, PulseAudio seems to run fine with the system sounds but I've never managed to use it successfully with Skype (which is now running fine using the ALSA drivers). Gizmo is using OSS which is the only configuration that works for it. Forget about any other VoIP apps like Ekiga which no longer works at all as far as sound goes. As I write this, both Skype and Gizmo are working together perfectly but that might not be the case 30 minutes from now.

Sound recorder no longer records with these VoIP apps running. However, Audacity will record just fine (again, using the ALSA drivers).

I've been "testing" Jaunty since Alpha5 in the hopes that, by the time the RC rolled out, it would be working at least okay on my system. Unfortunately that hasn't happened and it's not looking too promising. Video issues while using Compiz Fusion become intolerable after just a few minutes of operation. Now, I can work around most of the Audio problems that I've been having and tolerate the ones that I can't. But the video issues seem to be insurmountable short of purchasing a new laptop. Intrepid introduced some serious OpenGL problems on my system which forced me back to Hardy. Jaunty seems to have fixed many of the major video issues that plagued Intrepid but has introduced a series of new ones.

My point was, and is, that my system (which hasn't changed) is no longer fully supported in Ubuntu and that it's the operating system that's the problem, not the hardware. Pre-Intrepid versions of Ubuntu have always worked beautifully out of the box. Hardy still does.

Notwithstanding the above issues, I like 9.04. It makes for a great operating system on which to run a web browser and an e-mail client.

--Leisa

Beans
    Distro

I hope I don't sound patronising or annoying, but have you gone through the various threads on the forums about the Intel video cards?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7091061
    That one helped me get my Tecra A8 working fairly nicely.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nystire View Post
    I hope I don't sound patronising or annoying, but have you gone through the various threads on the forums about the Intel video cards?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7091061
    That one helped me get my Tecra A8 working fairly nicely.
    At the risk of being accused of hijacking this thread...

I did happen to see that thread earlier but my video problems have nothing to do with sluggishness.

To give an example, here's a sample of what happens to application windows when Compiz is running:

In this case, Evolution displaying mail in my Inbox.

Usually I can temporarily 'fix' things by switching app focus or scrolling through the desktop views a couple of times but this fix will usually only last until the next time I switch app focus or desktop views.

Annoying, as you can imagine.

EDIT: Strangely, only the application windows are affected by this glitch, not the entire desktop.

--Leisa
    Last edited by darkstaar; April 18th, 2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Edited for speling grammar and puntuation?

Beans
    Distro

My apologies to the rest of the thread for this rather blatant hijacking

Darkstaar, does this look similar to what you are experiencing? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/184903
    Last edited by nystire; April 18th, 2009 at 09:30 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast