Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing the Release Candidate for Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Re: Announcing the Release Candidate for Ubuntu 9.04

How well do the Nvidia drivers and compiz work?. Do the restricted drivers prompt give you the new Nvidia 180 drivers?.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by jedimasterk View Post
    How well do the Nvidia drivers and compiz work?. Do the restricted drivers prompt give you the new Nvidia 180 drivers?.
    Working ok for me. I was offered a choice between the 173 or the 180 driver (picked the 180 of course). I haven't run any tests for framerates or enabled any of special effects, just the default Desktop Effects, but all seems good so far. I'm using a 8600GT 512MB card.
    Dimension E520 : 2.66GHz Core2Quad : 8GiB 800MHz DDR2 RAM : EVGA 9800GT 512MiB : WD 300G VelociRaptor HD
    Sony VAIO SR290 : 2.8GHz Core2Duo : 6GiB 800MHz DDR2 RAM

Beans

Adobe Flash Player installer(ubufox) does not work on 64 bit Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

QUOTE=Ani;7087041]Adobe Flash Player installer(ubufox) does not work on 64 bit Ubuntu 9.04[/QUOTE]

Flash works for me on 64bit when I follow the instructions here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...74&postcount=1
    Dimension E520 : 2.66GHz Core2Quad : 8GiB 800MHz DDR2 RAM : EVGA 9800GT 512MiB : WD 300G VelociRaptor HD
    Sony VAIO SR290 : 2.8GHz Core2Duo : 6GiB 800MHz DDR2 RAM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WiFi Ed View Post
    Flash works for me on 64bit when I follow the instructions here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...74&postcount=1
    yes, of course it works if I follow those instructions.

The point is that the official way to install Flash Plugin is via ubufox integrated installer and it is BROKEN.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WiFi Ed View Post
    Working ok for me. I was offered a choice between the 173 or the 180 driver (picked the 180 of course). I haven't run any tests for framerates or enabled any of special effects, just the default Desktop Effects, but all seems good so far. I'm using a 8600GT 512MB card.
    Good to hear that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Too bad they haven't got the Intel graphics card problems resolved. Looks like I'll be sticking with Hardy on my old desktop machine...but Jaunty is amazing and have been using it on my laptop since Alpha 3 with no problems!
    Gateway MX6426, AMD64 2.2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 128MBATI Radeon Xpress, Windows XP & Ubuntu Karmic Koala
    Linux User #488323
    Half the fun of Linux is learning how to use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Very impressed so far. Seem a lot snappier.

Removed the fglrx proprietary drivers and switched to the open sourced ones automatically and all still works fine (including the compiz fusion effects). VGA is x700 Radeon.

Still can't work out why the boot-up usplash stops around half way through boot-up and reverts to text mode but that was an issue in Intrepid too.

Very good job
    Ubuntu Hardy :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trot2millah View Post
    Too bad they haven't got the Intel graphics card problems resolved. Looks like I'll be sticking with Hardy on my old desktop machine...but Jaunty is amazing and have been using it on my laptop since Alpha 3 with no problems!
    Have a look at the recent phoronix tests. The state of Intel graphics card is broken with any combination now. Even upgrading to X server 1.7 wouldn't fix everything. Probably with an SRU some kernel fixes (from 2.6.30) will be backported that will iron out some performance drops. But for now the kernel is in deep freeze.

I would give it a try with the live CD 3 weeks after the official Jaunty release. Maybe then some fixes will have crept into a kernel updade.

Here the Phoronix results: http://global.phoronix-test-suite.co...74-10432-20657 "EXA" is what you get now by default, "Linux 2.6.30 EXA" is what you might get after the backports, video-intel 2.4 is what you got with Intrepid. Note that these results are valid for the Intel Mobile 945GME only.
    Last edited by amano; April 17th, 2009 at 12:26 PM.
    Firefox! Probably not the king of some strange benchmark but still the king of the hill. Even with a bookmarks-sidebar

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrewabc View Post
    What is your hardware?
    Do you get the boot screen? Once boot screen is done you get the black screen with cursor? Can you move cursor? Is the cursor the circle animation one (thinking)?

My old computer once boot screen is done, goes to a black screen with only cursor, and stays there for about 10 seconds, then finishes loading rest of desktop.

See
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyJackal...otes#Upgrading

For possible errors.
    Well mine what it does is, it boots up just fine, it gets to the "choose name" screen, so i put my name and pw and then i does the usual, it goes black as if it's going to load the desktop, the cursor shows up (not the "it's thinking" circle) the actual cursor, but then it just stays black. I can move the cursor around, and if i leave it for 10 min, it stays black for 10min or as long as i leave the box on. The only thing i see that fails when i boot up with spalsh disable is AppArmor.

Thanks for the link but i couldn't find anything on there that could help me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast