Thread: cd tray too fast

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

cd tray too fast

Does anyone know how to adjust the cdrom tray retraction? Since I upgraded to Intrepid many months ago, after I eject the cd I have exactly 1 second to grab the cd out of and insert the new one into the tray before it slams shut. Sometimes I have to physically hold it open so it doesn't clamp onto the cd half way in.

I have become very experienced in the art of cd replacement racing but it has become a bit annoying.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: cd tray too fast

Has it always shut on its own afetr opening? Mine only does that after deleting when using k3b and trying to record on a CD-RW that already has something on. Otherwise it opens and stays open until I shut it. Perhaps it's a manufacturer built-in activity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks. You may be right. It does it all the time. Maybe it's the gizmo itself. Are there any scripts or configs that deal with the Ubuntu cdrom driver or that calls the cdrom other than fstab?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually, I remember when I was running Intrepid the problem showed up. If you haven't already done so, you may wish to enable backports in your software sources, then update your system. The problem, as I recall, was corrected in the backports.

If you remember your installation of Intrepid - assuming that you used the released version and not a beta - did you have to quickly remove your CD after the installation, when the CD popped out?
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fballem View Post
    Actually, I remember when I was running Intrepid the problem showed up. If you haven't already done so, you may wish to enable backports in your software sources, then update your system. The problem, as I recall, was corrected in the backports.

If you remember your installation of Intrepid - assuming that you used the released version and not a beta - did you have to quickly remove your CD after the installation, when the CD popped out?
    Honestly, I don't remember if it happened right then. It did begin right after the installation. I didn't upgrade 8.04; it was a new install of Intrepid release version.

I'll check backports but you know, I have been running jaunty on a different partition and the problem persists. I would imagine that eliminates the distro theory. Am I right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cornflake000 View Post
    Honestly, I don't remember if it happened right then. It did begin right after the installation. I didn't upgrade 8.04; it was a new install of Intrepid release version.

I'll check backports but you know, I have been running jaunty on a different partition and the problem persists. I would imagine that eliminates the distro theory. Am I right?
    If you're still having the problem with Jaunty, then yes, this does eliminate the distro theory - I have had no problems with Jaunty.
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Additional setup for Ubuntu 14.04: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem/Software%2014.04