Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banshee memory leak...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Banshee memory leak...

Has anyone using Banshee noticed that the longer it plays the more memory it uses?

I tend to leave it running all night during my shift, and after 10+hrs it is taking over 400-500mb ram.

This isn't a big deal for me... I have 8g of Ram, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed it...

other than that I have come to like it more than RB.
    OpenGEU 8.10 Luna Serena 64bit
    AMD Athlon-X2 6000+ / 8gb DDR2-800 RAM / Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H / Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT / 640gb HD
    Acer Aspire 6530 : AMD Athlon X2 / 3gb DDR2-667 RAM / ATI HD3200 / 250gb HD

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Banshee memory leak...

I haven't checked the memory usage, but it's using more RAM and CPU usage than RB. At least that's how it feels. I love Banshee, but it would be great if it could become lighter in some way, like Rhythmbox. But I guess you can have it all. How many other Linux multimedia players which have media library + both music and video player included are there out there?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by racerraul View Post
    Has anyone using Banshee noticed that the longer it plays the more memory it uses?

I tend to leave it running all night during my shift, and after 10+hrs it is taking over 400-500mb ram.

This isn't a big deal for me... I have 8g of Ram, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed it...
    From top:
    Code:
    31513 gustaf    20   0 1739m 924m 8188 R    1 23.5 262:48.99 banshee-1
    924 mb of ram. That's not just "too much" or even buggy, that's insane. I seriously cannot find it reasonable for banshee to eat more than 50mb, but given it's .net, I'd say 100mb. At most!
    It's getting seriously irritating that there simply is no good enough media library/player in linux that doesn't grow like a virus and swallows all your memory after a couple of days. My firefox just crashed, after having eaten approx 2gb memory, and X.org is not really doing its job well neither, simply stealing 500 megabytes from me:

Code:
    31513 gustaf    20   0 1739m 924m 8192 R    0 23.5 262:53.89 banshee-1
    7823 root      20   0 1201m 500m  12m S    2 12.7 351:10.49 Xorg
    I've talked to X developers on IRC about these issues regarding X, and filed bugs here and there regarding all kinds of programs that steals too much memory (gnome-panel [the applets], gnome-terminal, pidgin, etc), but no one seems to think this is a problem. I would have to restart my 4gb machine almost every day to have a reasonably decent system running.
    Next machine will be at least 16 gb. I will hope that is enough for modern gnu/linux systems.

Beans

I can confirm that also. Running banshee for a couple of days and the memory usage grows to 1Gb of ram almost every time.

This is a serious issue and we need to inform banshee developers asap.
    It could be the ubuntu build specific issue, but I'm not sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I haven't noticed it.And Banshee is awsome.I didn't like Rythmbox so much,but it is an okay player.

Beans
    Hidden!

This is really awful... If you didn't notice, just open up gnome-system-monitor, and change playlist in banshee... Every time you do that, memory usage grows... I am not sure I want to use a media player that has to be restarted every time I change the playlist... XD It really seems like it uses enough memory without doing that...

However, now that I am writing this I noticed that the behaviour might have changed in the version I just downloaded after all... Let's see... XD

Hmm... actually, it's happening again... Such a shame, if you ask me...
    Last edited by glorinand; September 12th, 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is actually related to plugins, I believe. If you turn off all of them, it seems the memory doesn't climb. I haven't tracked down exactly which one(s) are causing it though.

Beans

Beans

For me Rhythmbox always uses around 5-8% CPU while Banshee uses the same and first and then eventually grows to 20-30% over time. This is with Banshee 1.6 Beta 2 (1.5.1). Weird, and unfortunate since, besides this problem, I do like Banshee more, especially with 4th gen. iPod syncing.

Beans

For me Rhythmbox always uses around 5-8% CPU while Banshee uses the same and first and then eventually grows to 20-30% over time. This is with Banshee 1.6 Beta 2 (1.5.1). Weird, and unfortunate since, besides this problem, I do like Banshee more, especially with 4th gen. iPod syncing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast