Thread: choppy sound with Penumbra game after upgrade to jaunty...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Solved: choppy sound with Penumbra game after upgrade to jaunty...

Everything worked well under 8.10, although now i am getting very choppy very slow audio with 9.10; it is slightly affecting video frame rate as well.

the audio works well on everything else. music plays, videos have audio, system sounds are fine.

as far as i can tell its only the penumbra game (which i bought so i would like to get this working) that i am having this trouble with.

i played with all the mixer settings and changed all sound handlers to alsa, and after about 30 seconds of the choppy glitchy audio it cleaned up and was clear... this is not consistent however, sometimes audio is fine, most of the time its not.

I would rather not uninstall pulse, but is there any alternative? are there any major pulse upgrades coming down the pipe before release?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by hardyn; April 17th, 2009 at 03:55 AM.

Beans

Re: choppy sound with Penumbra game after upgrade to jaunty...

Quote Originally Posted by hardyn View Post
    Everything worked well under 8.10, although now i am getting very choppy very slow audio with 9.10; it is slightly affecting video frame rate as well.

the audio works well on everything else. music plays, videos have audio, system sounds are fine.

as far as i can tell its only the penumbra game (which i bought so i would like to get this working) that i am having this trouble with.

i played with all the mixer settings and changed all sound handlers to alsa, and after about 30 seconds of the choppy glitchy audio it cleaned up and was clear... this is not consistent however, sometimes audio is fine, most of the time its not.

I would rather not uninstall pulse, but is there any alternative? are there any major pulse upgrades coming down the pipe before release?

Thanks for any help.
    Negative. My understanding is that Pulse-Audio will not be updated in Jaunty anymore past the freeze.

However PulseAudio just released a new version and I upgraded it myself through unofficial channels using a PPA:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1126128

Doing so is at your own risk. It might fix your issue.
    100% Microsoft Free Since April 2, 2009

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, i will give that a whirl later tonight.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hardyn View Post
    Thanks, i will give that a whirl later tonight.
    Hey, Cool... it works.

Thanks.