Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fixing VMWare Jaunty guest vmmouse support

Beans

Re: Fixing VMWare Jaunty guest vmmouse support

Quote Originally Posted by sabi View Post
    Jdong,

Well, too many bizarre things happening. I started over. Just to close this saga, these are the steps I followed from your suggestions.

1. Created new vmware guest using RC1
    2. Ran update manager
    3. Installed build-essential
    4. Installed VMWare tools 7.8.5 build-156735 (from VMWare workstation 6.5.2)
    5. Installed xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse version 1:12.5.1-4ubuntu5 and mdetect
    6. Ran /usr/bin/vmware-user
    7. Added /usr/bin/vmware-user to startup applications
    8. Restart
    The above worked for me as well on the 9.04 official version. Thank you for this post! I have cut and paste, drag and drop, and proper mouse transition from host/guest on VMware WS 6.5.2 running on WinXP x64 SP2.

Beans

Jdong,

Well, too many bizarre things happening. I started over. Just to close this saga, these are the steps I followed from your suggestions.

2. Ran update manager
    3. Installed build-essential
    4. Installed VMWare tools 7.8.5 build-156735 (from VMWare workstation 6.5.2)
    5. Installed xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse version 1:12.5.1-4ubuntu5 and mdetect
    6. Ran /usr/bin/vmware-user
    7. Added /usr/bin/vmware-user to startup applications
    8. Restart

This resulted in normal (vmware fashion) mouse operation. Copy/Paste to/from guest/host works as expected. The file drag and drop is still problematic with the following error:

Unable to open: File "/proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint/0ba02566/Payment_schedule.ods" line 1: Syntax error.

Since my primary concern was mouse and copy/paste operations, I am satisfied at this point.

Maybe the other issues will resolve in the future.

Thanks for your efforts.
    sabi

PS: Spoke too soon, bizarre is back. When I right-click in a terminal window, a new terminal window opens. May or may not be related to this, but still bizarre.
    Thanks mate, I followed your steps and it works like a charm. Drag&Drop, mouse movement and copy&paste all works. Running Ubuntu 9.04 x86 guest on Windows Vista SP1 x86 host with VMware Workstation 6.5.2
    Last edited by wasabinz; April 25th, 2009 at 01:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've traced down the right-click-terminal-opens bug:

When VMWare handles a click, xev shows:

(1) MouseDown event. That's expected.

(2) MotionNotify event. That's unexpected. It tells the guest that the mouse has moved for either 0 pixels or 1 or 2 pixels.

(3) MouseUp event. That's expected.

So, from what I see every time you press down the mouse the GUI toolkit interprets it as a "drag", not just a click. So, if you click in a terminal with the left mouse button it might select one character (particularly if you click a blank area), and with the right mouse button it'll select the first menu entry.

There's a bit of quibbling it seems between the VMWare people and the GTK/QT people, one blaming another. The VMWare camp says they are just passing mouse events as they happen and the GUI toolkits should exclude minor movements of the mouse as noise. The GUI toolkit folks say that MotionNotify is for notifying *LOGICAL* motion of the mouse and the mouse driver shouldn't be reporting negligible changes in mouse position to the client.

You be the judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, for those nerds with too much time on their hands. In src/vmmouse.c line 495:

Code:
    if (dx || dy)
    change to

Code:
    if ((dx || dy) && (truebuttons == pMse->lastButtons))
    This disallows posting both a button change and a movement update. Fixes the unintentional mouse drag issue for me.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

This could potentially be a stupid question but when you say "RC1" are you referring to a VMWare Workstation release? VMWare Server 2.0 RC1? Or an Jaunty release of some kind?

The fact that you said "using" instead of "of" leads me to believe that you are talking about the VMWare and not the OS but I want to be completely sure.

Thanks.

Beans

I've had the same issue on my VMware guest when I upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04. I have since created a new guest and installed from fresh and I don't have the issue. seems to be a bit of a pain not to be able to upgrade and have a mouse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The click bug is acknowledged by VMWare upstream now and they informed me that they are working on a proper fix for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

man how do i fix the mouse? this sounds like alien talk in the Thread starters post.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123